It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yanagiba
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:48 am 

I finally got my hands on a nice Yanagiba, this one is new and just brought in to one of the kitchen stores here, the Manager gave it to me to play with. This is a MAC, I don't know what anyone thinks about the MAC Yanagi but I was grateful for the opportunity.

I loved sharpening it, very enjoyable and rewarding.

You can see the tomato I tested it on, easily one of the sharpest knives that I have personally had my hands on. I guess that is typical though of these knives once sharpened.

Gees imagine if I had some naturals.

Post subject: Re: Yanagiba
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Very nice! I love the bite of a single bevel blade, just that scary feeling like you don't want to know how sharp it truly is... hehe. Beautiful polish! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:41 am 

Thanks Shaun. Sadly and I'm a little embarassed about it actually, I don't own a carbon knife, like the ones you all seem to have drawers full of. I really concentrate on sharpening and although I love "your" knives, I just have not taken the plunge yet. I think that all changed last night though.

Now I've seen/felt many sharp knives, have taken countless trips upstairs from my sharpening cave to show my wife because I was excited about the edge and God love her, after 500 of these little "shows", she still pretends it's cool and somehow she makes me feel good about myself. Then I get over myself and go down and do another knife.

Then out comes this Yanagiba - It looked good, felt good and I was pleased with it but when I tried it out on the tomato and let my wife do the same. It was almost like I've never sharpened anything before until now, what a feeling as the knife bit into it. Could not believe how thin we could make the slices. You've all been there I know this.

Fun times.........I'm getting myself a new knife.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:06 am 

Lookin good :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 am 
Forum Moderator

I want a good Yanagiba to play with one day. The only Yanagi I own is the Shun Pro,... not terribly impressed to say the least, but it's a pretty knife. :D

Now I wanna go get out the aoto and the deba and play in the mud for a little while..... so much for moderating! lol Thanks Pete!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]