It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crankin them out!!
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I had Sat and Sun off this weekend, so I spent the 2 days working on knives!

2 rehandles for Bikeman. I thinned and converted the Artifex 240mm to a Wa tang and then installed a sanded down take off burnt chestnut handle I found in the shop. 2nd knife is a Konosuke Fujiyama White 240mm with a Jobillo ferrule/cocobolo handle that I had taken off one of my previous knives.

Then it was on to the 2 Addicts in AEB-L that I thinned out and handled in Black Redwood Burl and Blue Burl (Maple or Box Elder I think)? The blue ended up purple/cobalt, but still looks nice!

Then it was a AS Laser Suji handle; Black Horn, Black/White/Black spacer and Black Casara:

Then it was on to the big monster BIG RHINO!! Dark Ironwood ferrule, golden ironwood handle:

Next was a Kohetsu HAP40 240mm Gyuto, converted to a Wa handle and a Seattle inspired handle! Green Buckeye Burl ferrule, Blue/Silver M3 spacer, Blue Burl handle and a Blue/Silver M3 end cap. Did a curly maple saya for the knife. The other knife is the Kono HH that Mark had on sale recently, did a Kauri saya for it.

Post subject: Re: Crankin them out!!
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:36 pm 

beautiful work as always tim, glad you finally found some time to play :)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am 
Forum Moderator

It always amuses me how I sincerely prefer the KonoHH wa over all the rest... with all due respect. ;) I must admit though, as of late, I find myself resonating with cherry more so than yew more so than ho, respectively. Disclaimer: to any whom might be confused by that - I'm simply averse to all things bling, I have handled TAZ's work and the stuff is bulletproof.

I will add, I do like the way the burnt chestnust ended up... very nice fade you employed on the sanding; I think that Casara is really interesting; and I find the heavily grained portions of the Golden Ironwood to be oh so nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, mixed bag here! Some simple, some flashy.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 am 

Tim your work just keeps getting better. I have some knives I've been wanting to send you forever but the wife and I decided to pay our house off this spring so I'm on a spending probation for a few more months.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 am 

Thanks Tim, I know you have been real busy and I appreciate getting my Artifex and Kono Fuji handled. Great work. This is the second chestnut handle you have done for me and the wood has a nice warm grain and feel to it.i It is light in weight and durable. There is a reason why custom knife makers use chestnut handles when they are done right! The Jobillo/Cocobolo wood compliments the Kono Fuji blue #1 blade with a classic elegant handle.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:17 am 

Loved the cascara! Wishing I had bought some when it was on sale... :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm 

I love the burnt chestnut handle on the Artifex conversion. Beautiful work as always!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:01 pm 

All the handles look great as usual! I'm sure pictures do not do them justice.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]