It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: More stuff done!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

I was finally to get some time off and solid shop time in this week after getting a nice buck while deer hunting. Work has been somewhat busy, with some unexpected OT, interviews, etc, so my shop time in the morning has been limited.

Hows this for a handful of knives!

Top is a CCK 1303 cleaver with a Burmese Blackwood and Zebrawood handle, 2nd is a Goko Nakiri with a Burmese Burmese Blackwood ferrule/Bubinga handle, next is a Tanaka Deba with a Goko handle with the plastic ferrule replaced with some Rosewood, and the bottom is a M390 Artifex that I thinned down the handle and thinned out behind the edge a bit.

CCK1303 with Burmese Blackwood/Zebrawood handle:

Tanaka Deba with Goko/Rosewood ferrule, had to fix the tip on it as well for the customer, and the Goko with Burmese Blackwood/Bubinga handle:

Koa is a wood I love, but it's a pain to get good pics of the grain! This one had a fatter handle and I thinned down the handle a bit for the customers smaller hands. I also thinned the area behind the edge of the blade and fixed a chip in the tip as well:

Now to the 2 bigger ones! These are both for Jeff B, he finally got some Taz handles! First one is some awesome Maple Burl with Mosaic pins on an ITK Bread knife and the second is some Bog Oak, SS Spacer, Redwood burl on a Kono 300mm suji. He had realized that he didn't get his suji rehandled yet and wasn't sure if it would be done in time for Thanksgiving. Got the knife and wood on Thurs, worked on it and had it pretty much done on Friday. Spent Sat butchering 3 deer with my uncle, so I was able to install and finish off the handle today! Going out tomorrow and should be there in time for Turkey Day!

Post subject: Re: More stuff done!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 pm 

Nice, its always good to get some shop time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:49 am 

Thanks Taz, you really came through. Those handle are fanTaztic! Can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:12 am 

You do such great work. Love to look at all your pics of your handles. Can't wait to have my very own in the near future :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 pm 

Great looking handles.The Goko chestnut/rosewood is like the one you did for me and it is one of my favorites. Nice Buck you bagged. Now go and get one with your new bow!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys! Yeah, the guy saw your Goko rosewood/Chestnut and liked it as a replacement to the plastic ferrule. Nah, still got more handles to make, maybe I will get out with the bow this weekend though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Finished these off yesterday, but it was too dark outside for good pics.

300mm Kono White #2 suji I got a while back, with a Starry Night handle, Lamson Forged Fork with Stabilized Giraffe Bone handle, Mosaic pin:

Fork:

Suji: Bog Oak Ferrule, SS spacer, Blue Box Elder Burl handle. The handle had some big voids in it that came to the surface when I sanded it down, so I filled them with epoxy and Super Glue. The handle was originally for a customer, but with the big voids, I didn't want it to go to a customer, so I decided to put in on my Suji instead. It's the dark black spots around 1" from the end of the handle. I guess the Starry Night handle has some Black Holes in it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:04 pm 

I LOVE the "Starry Night" handle! Even with the filled in voids it is beautiful! Very nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:28 am 

More nice work, Tim/Taz!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:53 pm 

Gorgeous!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next