It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 4 days off in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

My vacation time is kicking in again! 4 days off this week, work 4 days, then I have 9 days off in a row!!! Yikes!!

Aaron got another handle! Kono 210mm gyuto, his first Kono. It's a bit shorter heightwise due to sharpening, so I made the handle a little shorter so he would have knuckle clearance. Maple burl ferrule, M3 spacer, Blue Redwood Burl (has greens and purples in it, too), M3 end cap.

Handle:

Whole Knife:

Takeda Kogatana with Curly Koa handle. Gotta thin the handle out a little, but it's almost done!

I'll keep this thread updated for the next few days, I have a few more in the works :)

Post subject: Re: 4 days off in a row!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 am 

taz575 wrote:....Aaron got another handle!
Imagine that! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:31 am 
Forum Moderator

TIM <> That is a really interesting M3. The color has a special synergy with the patina'd carbon, and with the purple color selection... it's a really nice choice from an artistic perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, it has one shade at one angle and a different shade at another angle, it's bright or a bit darker and has metallic flecks in it that sparkle when the light catches it. We were going for a purple theme "royalty" for Aarons first Kono, and the block of redwood had blues and purples swirling in it, but when I shaped it out, it seems that the piece had a lot more eyes, which didn't take the dye's, so it has the colored veining through it instead of solid coloring. The ferrule is black Maple Burl, but it has a purple hue to it in bright lighting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 pm 

Hehe. :) Just wait till my next project for Tim gets in from Mark ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

300mm lefty? LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Customer ordered a 10" AEB-L fillet knife and a smaller 6" Damascus fillet knife. I ordered up the Damascus knife and when it arrived, it wasn't ground all that well. It was a very fat convex grind and had pretty much no flex to it. So I had to regrind and re etch the little knife:

Then on to the big one! .110" thick AEB-L, HT'd by Peters in Pa to 60.5 RHC. Full flat grind and a distal taper, has more flex than the small damascus fillet knife.

These are using the left 2 blocks:

Kochi 240mm gyuto rehandled in Olivewood/Ziricote, Tanaka G3 150mm petty with black Micarta/olivewood, Dojo 100mm paring knife with a Buff Horn/Ho octagon handle taken off of the Tanaka G3:

Kochi handle:

Got the Takeda Kogatana thinned out, and installed on the tang and cleaned up the handle profile:

Aarons 210mm and a 240mm HD on top:

Closeup of Aarons handle in the sunlight:

The HD 240mm Kono was here for a regrind. It was fairly thick behind the edge, which is very strange for a Kono! So I thinned it out a bit:

52100 Addict 2, 240 Artifex converted to Wa, Artifex Nakiri converted to Wa with Walnut/Maple Burl handle:

I reground these, too:
Addict 2: Image

240mm Artifex: Image

Nakiri Regrind:

I've been playing with Artifex regrinds lately, getting them nice and thin, but still keeping a nice convex to the sides to help with food release and not wedging. Seems to be working!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:32 am 

I've got cuts on my fingers just looking at those grinds! :ugeek: Damn nice!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks! I got a piece of Alabama Damascus, so I am trying to get some grind practice before I move on to the Damascus materials! I have some S35VN fillet knives to finish profiling and send out for HT, and maybe some 1095 blanks, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 am 
Forum Moderator

TIM <> I really dig how small a diameter the Kono210 handle came out. Much more appropriate proportion to the knife; very much like the Kanehiro 150G3.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next