It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3 days off, 3 days in the shop!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, it's been a very busy last three days! I think I logged in over 30 hours of shop time in that period and got some stuff worked on finally!

This is my attempt at a Jewish Slaughtering Knife. 1/8" thick or so at the spine, razor thin at the edge. Black Canvas Micarta handle, Ivory Micarta spacer. The lines on the blade are from tape residue, I snapped a pic before I fully cleaned the blade:

Choil Shot:

Next up is 6 Wa handles for M390 210mm Artifex that have been reground and converted to Wa tangs. 2 are Curly Black maple ferrule and Koa handles, and the other 4 are Claro Walnut Ferrules, Oak Burl handles. All are stabilized wood from Burl Source.

MAC bread knife with some of Craig Steven's Curly Koa. Still gotta clean up the handle a bit and polish, then sharpen the blade:

Cherry saya for a Masakage Koishi 240mm, Bolivian Rosewood for Takeda 240mm:

And I got to have a little fun myself, too! I decided to play with grinds on knives a little bit. I reground/thinned my 210mm KU Tanaka, thinned the Yamashin Funy and completely reground my TK Funy and removed all of the Kurouchi finish. Then I acid etched all of them to see what they looked like. I still have some more grinding and repointing to do, but I want to try these out and see how much more grinding is needed.

TK on the top, Yamashin in the middle and Tanaka on the bottom:

Yamashin etch:
Yamashin Choil:

Tanaka Etched:
Tanaka Choil:

TK Funy etched:
TK Choil:

I really liked the way the TK Funy lamination line popped out, so I took some closeups:

I am hoping you can see it in the pics, but there is some rippling to the steel in the cladding! I will polish it up and see if I can bring it out more.

Post subject: Re: 3 days off, 3 days in the shop!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:10 am 

That etching looks sweet...almost 3-D

Chris

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]