It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Changing the angel of a handle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 pm 

Question, could you alter the angle, slightly, when re-handling? Thinking that with a tapered Wa handle, but the bottom would be parallel with the spine. My wife really likes the handles on the Calphalon Katana knives, but we don't like the actual blades.

Post subject: Re: Changing the angel of a handle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:10 am 
Forum Moderator

Most custom makers would be able to do that when they build the handle, but as far as on a stock knife, it will depend. The handle could either be made flatter on the bottom (remove the taper). I don't think it would go too well bending the tang up so that the bottom is parallel to the spine and there would be a lot of taper left in the handle. Some knives, like the Addict, Richmond Laser, etc, have very little taper to the handle already.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

I was thinking specifically of a 210mm Artifex. But not trying to bend the tang, but change the angle the tang goes into the handle. A 5 inch handle, with a 1/2" taper, could be up swept almost 6 degrees. The challenge I would have is how do you drill the cavity in the handle at 6 degrees from center, maybe cutting the butt of the handle at the same angle, actually now that I say that, slanting the ferrule and the butt would look nice. I am looking to try this out, if you'd be game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:15 pm 

Here is a quick drawing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hmmmm. I could just cut the angles into the ferrule and handle pieces and install straight on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 am 

Is it possible to order a knife and have it shipped straight to you, and save the step of me sending right back out when I get it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, just tell Mark you want it shipped to me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:10 am 
Forum Moderator

I got going on this project today! I was checking the materials and ecfitzgerald decided on purple Redwood Burl for the handle and Black Redwood for the ferrule. The last time I worked the Black Redwood, it had a very green hue to it and wasn't completely black other than the surface. When I checked the block, I saw the same thing. So we went with Black Titanium material from M3 Composites and I got the handle pretty much done today.

Handle shots:

With a Kono HD 240mm Funayuki with Amboyna Burl and African Blackwood ferrule:

Whole knife, need to clean up and point the tip. The tip gets rounded a little when it gets thinned out, so I repoint it once I'm done thinning out the blade and before I round the spine and choil before epoxying the handle to the tang. The handle isn't mounted yet and shows how it would look as a normal Wa.

But the customer wanted the handle angled up a little bit, so I filed the tang slot and worked the tang down a little narrower so we can get some sweep to it. Not the best pic (fingerprints and inside cuz its pouring rain out!), but it shows how the handle normally is coming off the tang area so you can see how it was canted upwards a bit. We were trying to mimic the Calphalon Katana 8" chefs knife handle and the bottom of the handle is angled just slightly down and the top has the more pronounced angle upwards. I cut in some nice tapers, too, so the handle is nice and thin up front and gradually gets wider towards the butt end of the handle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:45 am 

Looks amazing taz! And my wife is quite excited with the color.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:47 am 

I like the look of how the handle widens slightly toward the back. How does it feel in the hand to you Tim? Looks like it would be comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next