It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SHOP UPDATE :(
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

I wanted to keep everyone in the loop. I was hoping to be back up and running by this point, but that is not the case :( We had a very snowy winter and my back yard is finally starting to dry out. My plant was to move everything out of my shed, give it a good cleaning, re arrange the machinery to set up a better dust collection system and see how that worked. My parents had other ideas. We need to replace windows in my storage room/rod building room, so I have spent several days working on cleaning that up and still have more to go. I am putting everything in totes so we can move them into the corner so the workers have full access to the windows and stuff. Not too bad, a few days and it's done. Then a couple weeks ago, my parents decided that we may need to insulate the room more (there may be no insulation between the studs when the house was originally built), so that means I gotta move everything out of the room to have this work done (pull down sheetrock, insulate, drywall and re paint). Where does it have to go? My work shed :( So I still have to clean my shed out, move all of the stuff from that room out into the shed and then get the room redone, and move everything back into it. The time frame is unknown at this point of when this work will be done, we are trying to get it done in the Spring/Early summer, so my free time is going to be spent working towards that project.

At work, we have been doing interviews and hiring 2 new Dispatchers now and 1 more in July, so my schedule will be switching days and shifts through most of the summer to get the people in place and trained up. My work schedule will once again change when this is done, probably late August/September time frame. The good news is with the new schedule, we work 4 10 hr days a week which means I have 3 days off each week instead of only 2. I am hoping the room renovation and stuff is done by then so I can start taking orders again, but it is close to the winter when I usually shut down due to the cold temps and Holiday cleaning, so I will be limited time wise to get the work done :(

On top of this, I need to try working with the epoxies and wood dust again to see what my allergic tolerance/sensitivity is to these materials. I was hoping to have this done by now, but last week was the first week I could see my sheds ramp to get inside my shed and haven't had a chance to work with wood or epoxy due to my work schedule yet.

So between the remodeling and the allergies and work issues, it looks like I may be shut down until late summer/early Fall if there are no allergy issues :cry: Really bummed, haven't made a handle since last Fall, still have a few handles here to finish off and send out from them (special projects for people on another forum). I will use those 2 handles to see how my allergies are doing and once I can play with those, I will let people know what's happening. For now, it looks like I am out of service until sometime near the Fall 2015, which kills my business for this year since I have no orders until maybe the Fall that I can do now. I was hoping to be able to do some blade regrinding type work (OK with metal dust), but now with using my shed as storage, that is out as well.

Post subject: Re: SHOP UPDATE :(
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:17 pm 

Sorry to hear about all the drama. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 pm 

Sounds like your going to be a busy man for awhile even without doing knives!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:33 pm 

Good luck Tim! I still use the Artifex you rehandled daily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:27 am 

Good luck, Tim. Here's to some shop time sooner than later.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

And another update. Finally got my room cleaned out mostly. I have 2 handles that are like 95% done, just need a little clean up here and there. Worked on one for about 15 minutes, mostly hand sawing to trim to length and hand sanding. Eyes got red and itchy, neck broke out :( Looks like it's the wood dust as a major issue :( I will be working on cleaning out the dust from my shed, but it looks like I am out of the handle and saya making business :(

I will be trying to make a list of material inventory (wood for handle, saya wood, etc). I will probably post the list in my forum as I get things inventoried.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:18 pm 

This is a sad day.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:21 pm 

Sorry to hear that Tim. You've always had beautiful work and been a great help. Best of luck in the future fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:53 pm 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next