It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Thinning and Convexing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I thinned and Convexed an Artifex 210mm today, so I got before and after pics to show people.

Before: Artifex out of the box with the factory edge. Notice the sharp shoulder between the blade grind and edge bevel:

After the blade met the belt sander! Notice how I blended the blade bevel right down to the edge itself and continued the convex of the blade:

From her, I sharpen up with various water stones, including J nats.

I tried this on a knife with the factory handle and it didn't work as well. The Rotary Platen I use to do this tends to bow a little and I need to get the heel to the middle of the belt to work well. I did it on my Artifex Suji and the heel remained thick for like 1cm and then tapered right down. This is something that works best with the handle scales off of the knife so they don't run into the belt when I have to bring the heel to the center of the belt. I am going to play with belt tension and see if I can get that issue fixed so I can offer this on knives with the factory handles on them.

Post subject: Re: Thinning and Convexing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm 

Love those pictures. Very easy to see how the performance would be improved by the thinning. Very nice work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm 

Good stuff.

What kind of belt sander do you use Tim?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 am 
Forum Moderator

KMG Variable speed 1.5HP 2x72 with Flat Platen, Small Wheel Attachment, Rotary Platen and I took my 8" wheel from my Grizzly and made a new arm to use it on the KMG. The rotary platen works great for convexing blades and the variable speed lets me go up to 600 or 800 (or higher) on the belts w/o overheating the steel or handle material. Well worth the $2900 or so!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 am 

Very nice work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 am 

Great job, Tim. I can still feel it on my Artifex every day :) .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:51 pm 

That KMG sounds like an awesome set up. If ever decide to do a video of the way you thin the baldes on it you can sure count on at least one viewer for it. ;) The rotary platen look amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's a sweet setup!! Much nicer than the Grizzly 2x72 I started out with! I actually started to grind blades with it recently, too, so I may start doing some custom kitchen knives as well as fillet knives!

I may try to get a video, but it's hard with all of the dust flying and trying to get the right lighting to show what I am doing. I usually grind edge down at first when thinning to establish a secondary bevel around 3/16" or so wide at the edge of the blade, and then flip to edge up when I blend the bevel in together. It seems to work out really well that way and get a nice thin edge, but one that isn't too fragile or too thin. I go up to a 600 grit cork belt as my final finish and it seems to be a nice satin finish for kitchen knives.

Guessing you will have your knife early next week Paradox!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:50 am 

taz575 wrote:Guessing you will have your knife early next week Paradox!

Should be here Tuesday. Looking forward to that, thanks again. I ordered a Kalamazoo 1 x 42 yesterday. It's due on Monday. My Pierre Mid-tech will be coming really soon I hope, tracking shows it has made it out of Canada to Chicago as of yesterday. I'll be seeing the UPS man and mail lady a lot this week. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice!! Guessing my Tanaka's will be here on Monday. Got $500 worth of Saya woods in this past week, plus some other stuff, so I get deliveries 3 or 4 times a week sometimes!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next