It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Winning formula
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 am 

So I've noticed over the past couple of months that some really nice knives without handles or with more conservative treatment will sit in stock for quite a while. And these are knives that are presumably in high demand and not in stock very often. Then, after enough time, Mark decides to have a shmancy handle put on the knife, raise the price accordingly, and WHAM! Gone in 60 seconds.

Given that many of these knives weren't made with bling factor in mind, the phenomenon amuses me quite a bit and makes me wonder who is buying them. If one is going to pay extra money for a custom handle, why not buy the blade sans-handle and have one made to personal spec? Or, even better, have a basic one installed from the stock list on CKTG and save some money.

Post subject: Re: Winning formula
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 am 
Site Admin

We have a group of collectors who buy knives for use and aesthetics of the knives. These guys tend to be our best customers since they buy all the cool, unusual stuff and they're usually prolific buyers and purchase way more knives than a pro or regular home user would purchase. They also tend to be more daring and will try cool stuff that is unique that appeals to them, without lots of hand wringing over the purchase. Many of them like the fact that we offer custom stuff without the waiting. They see it, like it and buy it and we ship it the same day which has some appeal. They also all tend to know how to sharpen. We also get to know these guys overtime since they often have questions and will call to chat or email us from time to time. Some of them hang out here on the forum.

Chefknivestogo on Facebook
Chefknivestogo on Instagram

Post subject: Re: Winning formula
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am 

Interesting. I honestly had no idea collectors were so prolific, but makes a lot of sense. I can certainly identify with the need for a bit of immediate gratification and don't mind experimenting in the least, though I probably wouldn't qualify myself as a collector, so much as a home cook that is really interested in exploring the world of knives, though I have a hunch most who may fall under the collector category may describe themselves similarly :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]