It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thank you knife fanatic
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm 

I would like to give my thanks to Shawn for selling me his cleaver, it's the one he used to shave his face with :-). My love for the cleaver started at work when a Co worker bought a cck with a custom handle, I just bought Richmond artifex 240 gyuto and was really loving the knife and then he let me use it for a day and I was blown away. The knife was so much bigger yet light and sharp. As soon as I got home I went and bought one, my friend smoothed out the edges for me and I was off to prep heaven. I used that knife for everything but I was still loving that Aeb-l steel too, and then I remembered the Richmond fanatic Aeb-l (Gen 1)but it was sold out, so I waited, and then mark put up the fanatic Gen 2 52100. I looked at the stats and the were not the same (choil, heavier, no belly) I was disappointed and Mark said he wouldn't be making the fanatic like the original again :-(. But I bought the new one anyway and after a month or so I kept going back to my old cck, the light weight, and belly made the cleaver so much easier to use. So I thought my only chance was posting a cry out for somebody to sell me a fanatic 1, saw one for sell somewhere but the guy ground the entire thing down what a waste. And here come knife fanatic saying he would sell me his. I can't describe how stoked I was to get this opportunity to but this knife. When I got it was everything I could ever hope for I used it religiously at work, I even bought Richmond laser aebl and still kept going back to my cleaver, I feel it is the perfect knife. I recently got a new position at whole foods and won't be bring my knives to work anymore. But I get to use them at home more now. I thought about this when I made dinner tonight and how much I love this knife, so thanks Mark Richmond for making this great knife and thank you Shawn for selling me your personal knife, I have truly put it to good use :-)

Post subject: Re: Thank you knife fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 am 
You are very welcome sir!

I was just thinking about that knife the other day and how lonely my wall is without it now. ;)

Personally, those were some of my favorite cleavers and I'd love to see them return. The steel was heat treated just incredible; I long considered the Fanatic 1 to be the sharpest knife in my kitchen. The face-shave on camera was very real, and also a bit painful as I did nick myself once or twice. Speaking of which I haven't done a big-knife shave in a long time.

The Fanatic Gen 2 was, as you stated before, a much different knife. While able to complete more tasks, the Gen 1 will accel at veggie prep without a doubt, as well as slicing meats. I too, enjoyed the gentle sweep on Gen 1 over the flat profile of Gen 2. (Funny enough I was one of the ones who called for a flatter profile at first lol) Maybe we can all bother Mark enough to make another batch of Gen 1's? :mrgreen:

Very happy you are enjoying the knife, it was one of my favorites, which also makes me question why I let the darn thing go in the first place! lol ... oh wait, I used that money to supplement a fishing trip if I remember correctly. Pretty sure that's the trip ol' hammerhead broke my hand. Ahhh memories.....

And thank you Mark, for putting forth the effort to make this knife in the first place. This was one I'll never forget.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]