It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Too many blades, now enough handles.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 am 

All the information on this site is amazing, and it allows the active diligent consumer to find a great product. I start to find myself wishing that there where more customized handle options available. I know these things take time. Just throwing it out there.

Personally, I like a wide rounded grip that tapers toward my small finger a bit. I love the look of many of the things I see on this sight, but they seem to be too expensive for all but the most premium customers. For those who have some cash to spend, but not planning on giving up the vaccation this year, lets seem some more custom handles become options.

Post subject: Re: Too many blades, not enough handles.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 am 

"not"

Post subject: Re: Too many blades, now enough handles.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Most of the people who want custom handles want the bling factor, which raises the prices up a good bit. Non stabilized woods will tend to move more in the kitchen, which is why people shy away from them and people often want the fancier wood to be stabilized, not the plain stuff, so it's a catch 22. Not many people want to pay for stabilized wood if the grain is plain. Cocobolo and Ironwood do not need to be stabilized, so those are good woods to use to keep the cost down, but the more figured you want, the higher the cost of the wood. Ironwood can go from like $12-$50 depending on the figure.

The synthetic materials like Micarta and G10 aren't too bad price wise and they are completely stable. Having a handle redone is one of those wouldn't be too expensive. Isiah does really nice Wa handles with non stabilized woods and they aren't super expensive, but even the less costly materials still need the same amount of labor as the expensive materials. Some factory handles can be reshaped to better fit a customers hand, but the size of the original handle comes in to play as well. Western handles usually use Rivets, so that will limit the amount of work that can be done.

I would shoot Mark an email; he often works with customers on special requests like this!

Are you looking mostly at Wa or Western handles?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Out of the normal price I quote for handles.....only $25 is handle material. That's for the use of any wood I have on hand. So it's not a huge savings to go with something cheaper. The rest is labor, bolts, epoxy, sandpaper, wax, drill bits, etc., etc., etc. None of that changes handle to handle.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what's a standard quote for a typical wa handle (i.e. putting a nicer wa handle on an already wa handled knife)?

I understand it will depend on the material, I'm just trying to understand what general area we're in. On CKTG it seems like a custom handled knife can be anywhere from $60-200 more than its "stock" counterpart.

I'm sure people like Adam or Taz might be able to elaborate on general pricing for a complete job...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 pm 

I am not sure I have a preference toward wa, or western handle. I am sure I want a higher handle to blade option ratio then currently exists. Maybe I just need to personally see and try more of the knives available on this sight, but that is unlikely to happen. No worries, I understand that its just not something that can effectively happen at a lower price. Grind on..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 am 

There are just too many variables in a handle to give estimates without talking about specifics. Some high grade woods can go for 120.00 just for the wood. Some as low as 15-25. For me, westerns cost more than wa's, each rivet goes for almost 3.00/ea and mosiac pins are about 5.00 each. Never mind the cost of abrasives. I usually use fresh belts and disks. Cost of abrasives can be 10.00 or more. Now factor in shipping....you get the idea. A western, materials only, (no to mention the time it takes) can be minimum 55-65.00, up to 200.00 for something more exotic...lots of people like mammoth tooth...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

I have found that Wa stye handles generally tend to be longer than their Western counterparts, but many are a touch small for my hands diameter wise. The handle that felt the best to me was on a Wa Kiritsuke Honyaki 270mm blade; the handle was a heavier wood and beefy and felt awesome in the hand.

A lot of the cost is the smaller materials (liners, spacers, epoxy, pins, belts, finishes, etc) and labor like the other guys have said.

Also, I find that the handles are proportionate to the blade length. Some 210mm Western handles barely fit my hand on them, others fit me OK. 240mm Westerns generally tend to fit my hand better since they are often longer than the 21mm handles. Same with 150mm petty's. The Hattori 150mm I got for my brother and wife doesn't fit me very well, but the 150mm Fujiwara fits much better and the Dojo 135mm Petty fit the best out of the three, even though it has a shorter blade length.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 am 

I completely understand the rehandling costs -- but I can also see that it would be nice to have more handle options without getting into the really blingy stuff. I like a nice elegant rosewood/ebony combo, and have little interest in anything fancier than that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 am 
Forum Moderator

MKMK <> I'm totally with you. I love simple and light weight Rosewood like Moritakas. I had a Konosuke rosewood that was considerably heavier. I love the look of Cocobolo but dont know about its weight. My experience w/ebony handles has been they are heavier and upset the balance of the knife.

I love to feel the porosity of the wood; to grip the raw grain. The stabilized burls are too gorgeous for tools. I mean these are knives... work horses.. not pieces of show jewelry.

That's just my humble opinion.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next