It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Usuba that looks like a Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 am 

They describe Usuba knifes as "flat edge knives" @ knifewear.com (http://www.knifewear.com/knife-detail.a ... 0&family=9). Does that make a Kiritsuke also an "usuba"? :) I thought "Funiyakai" meant "flat edge knife". Heh!! "Funiyaki Gyuto" for example.

Nice looking single bevel in the link. Tempting.

And I noticed MAC describes their Nakiri's as Usoba's. HEH!!

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

Post subject: Re: A Usuba that looks like a Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:03 pm 

Funayuki is an obscure *style* of knife, like 'Usuba' or 'Gyuto', not a form variant like 'Kamagata Usuba' or 'Kensaki Yanagiba'.

I think Jon Broida once said it was a "boat knife" for fishermen.

Saying Funayuki Gyuto would be like saying I have a Fillet Chef's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm 

As for "Funayaki Gyuto" I'm going by what i saw at CKTG (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdfu24.html).

I just find it odd some would call what clearly looks to be a Nakiri (double bevel) a Usuba (single bevel w/ obvious ridge lines and wider bevels). It sounds like some makers are saying the Nakiri is a variant of the Usuba (e.g. MAC). That they are from the same family.

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

The funayuki shape I got from Murray Carter so a better description of that knife would be a Murray Carter Funayuki shaped knife but since gyuto is a more common term for an all purpose chef knife that is what I came up with.

As to the Nakiri/Usuba thing, they are pretty much the same shape except one is single bevel and never purchased here in the USA and the other is double beveled and popular.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:24 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:As to the Nakiri/Usuba thing, they are pretty much the same shape except one is single bevel and never purchased here in the USA and the other is double beveled and popular.

Someone speaks from experience, it seems! :lol:

Murray Carter popularized the term Funayuki for his knives which are pretty much Gyutos, but he can call them whatever he wants, it's just a name. The only part of the name that really accurately describes his knives is "Carter". It's just as well, I suppose, because nobody uses a Funayuki. It's the kitchen knife equivalent to a spey blade on a folder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 am 

my understanding is that funayuki really is just a thin and double bevel deba from the tosa region (when everything is double bevel). I think Mark should get some of these as it's quite versatile. funayuki gyuto is a gyuto with a typical funayuki shape. it's like a sab but with more gentle curves and lower tip. I would like to try the fujiwara wa-fkm. Any info on ETA, mark?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]