It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: kitchenaid
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 pm 

I recently acquired a new kitchenaid standing mixer via my fiancee, (yeah, she's a keeper) and now I'm curious if anyone knows the best places to get accessories. All I'm looking for is a pasta roller, cutter, and a sausage grinder. I've done some research and found some deals, but I'm sure there are people here that know the nooks and crannies of the internet better than I do for these things.

Sorry this isn't knife related, hope you all don't mind and thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: kitchenaid
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:33 pm 

Amazon. That's where I got all my accessories from.

Last edited by mauichef on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:14 pm 

Yeah. Amazon would be the first place to look. But if you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond near you, check their prices and use their ubiquitous 20% off coupons. If the store doesn't have it in stock, have them order it for you and you can still use the coupon and have it shipped to your home.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 am 

Bed Bath and Beyond has more stuff online and you can get 20% off coupons by signing up for their emails.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 am 

For my KA gear I went to eBay and bought the old school metal accessories. A whole lot of retro awesomeness for decent prices.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:59 am 

This may be obvious, so please forgive me if it is. Most people don't calibrate their kitchenaids, which can lead to long-term issues with parts, bowls, and/or inferior mixing in all sorts of ways. Make sure you read the book about adjusting the height of the head mechanism to ensure the proper amount of contact between the rotating spatula, whisk, or whatever, and the bowl itself. This is usually done by trial and error, via a large screw that is up and under the head mechanism, near the large hinge. The process is entirely different if you have a locked head/rising bowl mechanism. Too much contact causes the spatula to slowly erode into your food and to damage the bowl; too little contact causes the mixer to perform very poorly and too much food to stick to the sides. (Personally, I believe their whole developing and marketing of the "rubber-sided" spatula attachment was for people who just didn't know how to calibrate their machines.) I think the advice above about parts is good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:04 am 

ebay. I bought a box full of attachments for about 1/3 of what they would have cost new.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:24 pm 

Definitely do what Salemj says about setting up the mixer. Regarding the attachments, IMO only the pasta roller is really worth getting unless you love the fine noodles then the cutter is okay for that. I'm either cutting them manually or making ravioli, and the ravioli attachment is flaming garbage so I just put it through the roller and make them by hand or with the cheap Norpro ravioli mold. Your opinion on the grinder will depend on what you want to do with it. Grinding for burgers and meatballs is fine but if you want to get into making sausages you should spend your money on a vertical sausage stuffer instead. I have no experience with the juicer attachment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:40 pm 

Another thumbs up to the idea of calibrating the mixer. A small easy step that makes a world of difference.

I have the three-piece pasta roller set and I do find it the best, most substantial (made in Italy, great weight) attachment. It was worth every penny and I am glad I went with the three-part option. It is very highly rated and a joy to use.

KA also makes a very different extrusion pasta attachment, which will make a wide variety of tubular noodles like penne. I am less interested in the third pasta attachment--the ravioli maker--only because I would rather control the process more by hand.

I also have and like the meat grinder. I put it to use when making rustic terrines. There are two coarseness settings, and using a mix of the two gives a less uniform and more interesting texture to the final product. Agree with dino about using a different process for actual sausage making.

KitchenAid made their first mixer in 1919. It came with the attachment opening. Since then, every KA attachment fits every KA machine. There are some fun vintage attachments out there....

All the options for places to purchase are fine. I'll add Williams-Sonoma to the list if you have one nearby or of you want to mail order simply because I found they were having an electrics sale that would give you a 15% savings on the KAs and attachments. Only for a couple of days, though.

Enjoy the KA!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 pm 

salemj wrote:This may be obvious, so please forgive me if it is. Most people don't calibrate their kitchenaids, which can lead to long-term issues with parts, bowls, and/or inferior mixing in all sorts of ways. Make sure you read the book about adjusting the height of the head mechanism to ensure the proper amount of contact between the rotating spatula, whisk, or whatever, and the bowl itself. This is usually done by trial and error, via a large screw that is up and under the head mechanism, near the large hinge. The process is entirely different if you have a locked head/rising bowl mechanism. Too much contact causes the spatula to slowly erode into your food and to damage the bowl; too little contact causes the mixer to perform very poorly and too much food to stick to the sides. (Personally, I believe their whole developing and marketing of the "rubber-sided" spatula attachment was for people who just didn't know how to calibrate their machines.) I think the advice above about parts is good.

----
Interesting. I'm a RTFM type of guy, well usually, and I don't recall ever doing this. We have the locking head/rising bowl variety.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next