It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Butchering knives
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

I'm moving this over from the typo thread. Melampus gave this suggestion and I want to explore it.

"Now, I might suggest adding a BUTCHER knife type, but as you don't carry any skinning or breaking knives, I am hesitant. While aware of the overlap the boning & cleaver knife sections presents, my refrain still ceases as once I thought specifically about the Scimitar, the two CCK Rhinos, the CCK Bone Chopper, the CCK Butcher Knife, your entire boning knife section & the Wusthof Classic Cleaver, I recognize IT IS a category, and YOU COULD potentially expand coverage in this manner.

Whilst speaking in this regard, I am further inclined to suggest you might correspond with L&G to discuss, what I consider to be, a glaring void in your menu's line up. I OFTEN field this question, seemingly more often as of late, for butchery knife suggestions. I understand the demand for skinning knives is basically nonexistent, but I have to say a 5" &/or 6" curved boning & an 8" &/or 10" breaking knife would be a fantastic addition to the Artifex AEB-L series as they can be utilized both as filet or butchery knives. The same can't be said for the scimitar, and that versatility is appreciated by we lower income types. If you could get the Tsukahara brothers to produce a 150mm HAP40 Gokujo that met somewhere in between the Shun and the classic Forschner (all time classic for damn good reason), I could be wrong, but if word spread, you could tap into a market that is, in my eyes, untapped. You see this Bubba Blade garbage the marine industry is going gah-gah over. It's freaking Chinese quasi-AUS8-replica $60 shit. :x Yes, special consideration is required in the marine niche as it requires extreme stain resistance, but anyone worth their salt knows to store their knives dry, and 13% chromium w/.15% molybdenum is surely not presenting any radical ability to resist corrosion (8Cr13MoV - .8 C 13 Cr .4 Mn .15 Mo .2 Ni .02 P .5 Si .01 S .1V). AEB-L blow it out of the water, and if you couldn't get the price point competitive which I doubt, even VG-10 would kick its ass. The only reason I didn't get into a brawl with a few of the dock-rats at the cutting station on my last tuna trip was that between myself & my buddy at my side there was 565# of fury very visibly ready to unleash. :evil: The rats didn't like the speed & precision of my experience & statistical facts, and I made it clear I didn't like their tone... said tone subsided. Point being, I think there is a void in the line up." Melampus

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Butchering knives
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 pm 

I would be down for an 8-10" breaking knife, preferably carbon steel. Basically an updated bullnose Forgecraft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:25 pm 

5 and 6" boning knives are very popular in the homes of the general public. Even breaking knives. I can tell you from personal experience, the grilling and smoking weekend warriors, that's all the use and they have many. These are the knives they use to trim and break down there many pork butts, ribs and briskets that they are proud to serve their beer drinking buddies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 pm 

I've seen and used the Bubba Blade and it is indeed lacking. But the people who have them love them, and I understand why. They're a step up from what they're used to. The companies that make these knives are not knife makers. They make tents and fishing rods. They're the winners by virtue of having the only horse in the race. I have no doubt there is room for someone to make some cost effective products that would just destroy that junk. It's a huge group of people that has been working with outdated and mediocre tools for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:37 pm 

Jeff B wrote:5 and 6" boning knives are very popular in the homes of the general public. Even breaking knives. I can tell you from personal experience, the grilling and smoking weekend warriors, that's all the use and they have many. These are the knives they use to trim and break down there many pork butts, ribs and briskets that they are proud to serve their beer drinking buddies.

For boning shoulders and such I prefer a hankotsu. No worries about chipping or damaging it. It's a joy to use. I went to that from a 6" dexter russell that I've had since my butchering days and good lord what a difference. I am not sure I would be interested in a gokujo (don't google image search that at work, btw) but I'd definitely like a breaking knife to split ribs. The Artifex scimitar is a bit lighter than I'd like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 am 

I think I'm going to have to get something in the Hankotsu/Honesukis neighborhood for boning and breaking down birds at some point. One of the knife styles I haven't tried yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:58 am 

I need a scimeter badly

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]