It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Custom knife blocks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 am 

Folks...

Anyone have any input on custom knife blocks? Most blocks out there are simply not suited to the collections that many of us have. I'm looking to have one made that will best suit me, and am looking for input for design, materials and other consideration.

I know it will be a "monster" compared to most standard blocks, but I think will be the best way to store my knives.

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Post subject: Re: Custom knife blocks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a wall hung custom block. I guess I'm not sure what input you'd like. Mine was made by David Smith before he quite making them. Obviously very well made.....all the slots are the same size and can hold any gyuto I put in them.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:04 pm 

I have a similar problem but I was thinking of going down the magnetic strip road. I only own a few nice knives unlike many here.

see my post
seeking-magnetic-knife-rack-suggestions-t5836.html

After reading the responses to my post and doing some more googling I found this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T2ZPQY?psc=1

I might do the knife dock I linked above. They don't hold many knives but you could buy one for your 240 mm, one for 210 mm, and one for 150 mm etc

just an idea

El

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:22 pm 

cktg-exclusive-knife-storage-t5650.html

There's no interest. I keep some in a pile on the dining room table and some in their boxes on top of the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 pm 

id get a magnetic knife rack if i was u

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:21 am 

chopper wrote:id get a magnetic knife rack if i was u

Thanks, but magnetic racks won't work for me, I need something more compact.

I contacted Jay Gee wood products as mentioned in the cutting board thread but haven't heard back from them yet. Vermont Butcher Board and Block company has some nice ones ( http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/prod ... nife-block ) and they *used* to do some customs, so I may hit them up. They were very pricey though. I know David (Boardsmith) doesn't do them anymore.

I want mine designed to hold mostly 240 Gyotos, cuz I figure just about anything will fit in those slots. I will also need about 8 slots for steak knives, a ceramic honing rod, shears, and herb scissors. This will be a big block....

I have a pic of a custom one that the Vermont place did a while ago, I'll see if I can find some way to post it.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 am 
Forum Moderator

TODD <> If you're willing to commission someone, why not John @Lonestar?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 am 

Melampus wrote:TODD <> If you're willing to commission someone, why not John @Lonestar?

Melampus...

John and I started the conversation today. He mentioned that if more than 1 person wanted one, economies of scale could come into play. LOL...although I don't think there will be any takers for this behemoth!

Not sure John will want to take on this project, or more to the point, it needs to work out for both of us.

I'll post stuff here as we go through the process.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 am 

Personally, magnetic racks really bother me. I don't like pulling knives off of them. I always feel like I'm going to mess up the edge or lose the tip. Also, over time it will magnetize your knives and as I primarily do most of my cooking in a professional setting, i can feel it get stuck slightly to the metal tables I work on. This is a pretty small complaint, but its one of my pet peeves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 pm 

Defaultanon wrote:Personally, magnetic racks really bother me. I don't like pulling knives off of them. I always feel like I'm going to mess up the edge or lose the tip. Also, over time it will magnetize your knives and as I primarily do most of my cooking in a professional setting, i can feel it get stuck slightly to the metal tables I work on. This is a pretty small complaint, but its one of my pet peeves.

DefaultAnon.....

Although I have never used a magnetic rack before and don't have to worry about steel work surfaces, in my mind I always wondered about accidentally messing an edge or tip when plucking it off a rack. Most of these racks are covered in wood, so I'm thinking the edge would be ok, but I could see my self in a rush pulling it off slightly off kilter and seeing the tip bounce off my tile backsplash as it disengages from the rack.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Page 1 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next