It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The Grim Reaper Called Yesterday
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

I got a phone call from the cutlery buyer at Amazon yesterday asking me if I was the person to talk to about purchasing Tojiro knives.

I said "no speak english". :mrgreen:

Not really, I told her we couldn't sell to them. I'm sure that won't stop her, but it just goes to show that they have obviously used their analytics from the retailers who sell through them as affiliates, to identify a good selling brand and now they're going after it. Amazon is a great competitor. The only long term, sustainable chance small retailers have against them is to sell stuff they don't sell and give better service. I wouldn't want to be Cutlery & More and have to go head to head with Amazon on every item I sell. We were both lucky to get started a couple years before Amazon got into the cutlery space.

When you see Amazon buying from small Japanese blacksmiths you will know the end is near for our little business.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: The Grim Reaper Called Yesterday
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 pm 

You nailed it Mark. One thing Amazon can never offer is the level of customer service you provide. A customer reading Amazon user reviews VS. reading our forum reviews, not to mention the expert advise from the forum moderators. That said, along with a selection of unique crafted cutlery should keep you afloat.
Your customer base is centered around people in the culinary arts, and serious home cooks who demand fine cutlery.
Where Amazon will have the biggest impact if they indeed dive into this, will be with the large manufacturers selling in the $150 and under price point.
They are going to use their power to place large orders with slimmer margins for the manufacturers, like Walmart does.
One indicator of where Amazon is at right now would be to check out their Japanese web site, it might be enlightening.
That is why you are wise to get rid of all the major brands which anyone can purchase from multiple merchants, and focus on the boutique vendors, as well as some of the well established lines like Konosuke, Takeda, Kikuichi etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:21 pm 

Scary.

That said, you guys service a sort of niche within a niche market. I seriously doubt some corporate cubicle rat who might get promoted to managing ladies' sports undergarments or whatever 3 months from now is going to bother to bring us the things we want in the volumes we generate.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:27 pm 

I don't have any bad experiences with amazon, but don't have amazing ones either. I am amused when they offer 2 day shipping, but takes 3 days to package it. But they cater to the people who judge a knife by ootb sharpness, and throw it away when its dull. Mark has set the standard of customer service pretty high IMHO, and i try to refer people who will listen his way.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm 

I don't purchase many items through Amazon. I prefer to go direct to the manufacturer or distributor. Usually cheaper too. Amazon is an impulse buyers paradise.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 pm 

Even if Amazon started selling all of the stuff you sell I would never go through them. I don't buy much, but everything i have is from You, Sue, and the crew and CKTG! Once i finish school and start making some money I will be able to satisfy my craving for more knives! You have a loyal customer right here, Mark, and I'm sure many many other people feel the same way.

Gabe

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm 

I have, use, and like Amazon Prime. For my day to day needs, it's a great thing. I don't think I would buy knives from them, though. The assurance of a community like this one, the attention to customer detail, and the knives Amazon would offer are totally different things. The vast majority of people on Amazon cannot and would not appreciate the knives we discuss here. In fact Amazon would be foolish to throw a bunch of knives with mediocre out of the box edges and carbon cladding into the mix.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 pm 

Made the mistake of buying my first j knife thru amazon. Overpaid for it when I could have gotten a better knife at CKTG.
The CKTG community is so helpful and knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:43 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:.....I said "no speak english". :mrgreen:

Youu see, you have to drop the "L" for an "R" to sound more authentic.

"No speak Engrish" :P

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:46 pm 

Haha engrish..
I have used Amazon a number of times, and always seem to be disappointed when i look back on the experience. Initially i am happy and exited, and a few months down the road i figure out how they took advantage of me. Don't think I'll be using Amazon much more to be honest..

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next