It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question for the anglers/fish lovers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:37 pm 

My recent 270 suji purchase got me thinking that a good suji, with the right amount of flex, could double really well as a fillet knife. I'm curious what the avid fish prep users here use. Standard rubber grip western fillet (Bubba Blade etc.), deba, suji, none of the above, etc. Obviously if bone separation is involved, the answers will change, but just wanted to get some thoughts as my previous belief was that most any fillet knife you can grab from the local tackle/bait shop seems to get the job done pretty well. On the dock, that would certainly be the obvious choice, but what about a whole fish bought from the market?

Post subject: Re: Question for the anglers/fish lovers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:30 pm 

Chip: your 270 suji should work well if the blade has some flex to it. Just be careful with the fine edge around the bones. The 270 mm blade is the right size for larger whole fish like Salmon etc. I use a 10" and 7" Wusthof Proline flexible fillet knife for cleaning and filleting and a 10" scimitar for cutting steaks from the loins on larger fish like tuna. I have had no problems with a 9" and 10" blade on large striped bass ,blue fish and tuna. The suji should be ok for filleting but you might want to add a deba or a heavier German steel chefs knife to break through bones. BB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:47 pm 

Cool, that's what I was thinking. Own a heavy Germ, a garisuke and a cleaver that can get the bone work done. Also have a german boning knife and fillet knife which had been my go tos in the past for fillet work in the kitchen. The flex and tactile feedback of the suji just struck me and made me think that there could be some real versatility to the knife that I had not previously considered and was curious if I was crazy to contemplate using it as a fillet knife as well. I have noticed that scimitars are pretty popular for larger work.
Now, and in the past, I used a chef's for pretty much everything with the exception of fish and fowl work. for bird I'd use a utility and for fish a boning knife. Given that, I'm always interested to see what people, who do a lot of work with certain types of food, prefer to use as I've been impressed with the performance of more specialized knives so far.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 pm 

I use a flex boning knife and a sujihiki.

I would be open to learning how to use a deba, but I work with relatively little fish and I would like some one on one instruction.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm 

I have a deba for the bigger stuff and a standard filet knife (Rada R200) for the smaller fish. I could certainly stand to have better skills with both, but that's directly related to my skills with a fishing rod.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Use my Fujiwara carbon 270 suji for filleting everything from delicate Trout to big nasty Red Drum. It takes on scales with ease and has the right amount of flex to make clean filets. I did sharpen the knife 80/20 right hand biased, so it's like a single bevel just a tad. I think this helps a bit with making better filets than a 50/50 edge. Also, I'm very partial to this knife.. it's cheap, reactive as hell at first, but it's tough and takes a good edge. It's not the world beater, but it is my favorite beater. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 pm 

Lepus wrote:I would like some one on one instruction.

This lady could probably teach you how to skillfully maneuver a boner. I imagine she embraces the Japanese preference of thick and stiff and eschews thin and flexible.
http://www.drjball.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 pm 

I wonder how she'd like African cutlery

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]