It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Starter Kit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:54 am 

So my brother is getting married and put a calphalon knife set on his registry *shudder. I called him immediately and told him to take that crap off and I'll get him started. They're mid 20's and don't have really anything kitchen wise. Just got all this stuff in today for his mini chef starter kit haha. I'm going to have to have a nice talk with him about care and use but I think this should be relatively newb friendly for him.

Smaller version of the end grain board I have, Fuji FKM 240mm Gyuto and 150mm Petty, a cheap chinese heavy cleaver so he doesn't chip the good knives on anything, a little magnetic knife strip and a small tin of some board butter I made.

BTW, I have amazon prime so free 2 day shipping and the FKM's from CKTG got here the same day. ;)

Post subject: Re: Starter Kit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 am 

As an aside, this was my first experience with the FKM line. My first thought was, "man these are HEAVY!" I'm spoiled now with wa handled knives I guess and already forgot western handle heft. Fit and finish seem great to me, they feel and look very nice.

OOTB sharpness wasn't great so I put a nice 30deg inclusive on them both. They will both now slow push cut paper with no head start but still don't feel as sharp as my other knives. Granted I might be spoiled with sharpness as I've got White #2, Blue #2 and AS. It's hard to explain but with the FKM's it feels like you're cutting the paper. With my other carbon knives it's like just melting effortlessly through hot butter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:57 am 

That looks like a very good start and you can help him when it comes time and move up to the next tier of knifes. He'll know more what he wants then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 am 

Way to take matters into your own hands. I'm doing the same thing with a buddy, though I think I'm choosing a 210 Hiromoto for him and the bride to be, throw a quick engraving on it and call it a day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:10 am 

so what do you put in your board butter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:10 am 

Awesome man, they'll be off to a great start thanks to you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:10 am 

Dr - so what do you put in your board butter?

It's just mineral oil and bees wax. I think the ratio ended up being near 50/50 but it's still solid at room temperature, it's about the consistancy of chap stick I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 pm 

That's a great set you put together, and better than Calphalon nonsense. I hope they enjoy the knives and board and I'm sure they will get a lot of use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:28 pm 

How much all this cost you? Could be a perfect starter set for me lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:27 pm 

Froggy

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy24.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmpe15.html

Douglas

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next