It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Carbon steel in pro kitchen, how careful?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:51 pm 

Hello guys, i'm new to this awesome forum and to CKTG shop.

I work pretty much in a restaurant kitchen, and have recently started use some carbon knives.
AS and konosuke HD2 is the two different ones i use the most, amongs some stainless steels.

My question how careful i need to be with the carbon blades? sometimes during prep or service it's easy that the knife will be sitting on the board after some cutting or slicing. Like 5-10 min, is this bad for the blade or no problem? Where do the pain limit goes?

// Pannbiff

Post subject: Re: Carbon steel in pro kitchen, how careful?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:07 am 

I am not a professional, but I have found varying things in my experience. 5-10 minutes on my full-carbon damascus blue #2 would be bad news. 5-10 minutes on my stainless-clad white #1 knife is fine. The edge is not rusted in either case, it is just the carbon-steel cladding that causes a problem.

If your AS knife is stainless clad you are probably ok. Acids will dull the edge slowly but shouldn't cause visible rust in my experience, for that length of time. The HD2 ought to be a lot more resilient as it is semi-stainless. I wouldn't worry about that one, but I don't have personal experience to back it up.

Edit: also, welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 am 

Depends on the knife. Iron cladding will rust in 5 minutes. Some white steel will turn orange that fast too. I would say all of my carbon, after I clean it with no patina on them would complain after about 10 minutes of sitting too. I once walked away from a Tanaka Kurouchi and a passing cook used it on something while I was gone, I came back, maybe 5 minutes later and all the exposed Iron was orange. If you get it fast it will all wipe off with a damp towel. If you put it away like that, you have problems.

The problem is mitigated entirely by keeping a dry towel next to your station. It becomes a simple habit to quickly wipe your knife and board off after use.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:32 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:Depends on the knife. Iron cladding will rust in 5 minutes. Some white steel will turn orange that fast too. I would say all of my carbon, after I clean it with no patina on them would complain after about 10 minutes of sitting too. I once walked away from a Tanaka Kurouchi and a passing cook used it on something while I was gone, I came back, maybe 5 minutes later and all the exposed Iron was orange. If you get it fast it will all wipe off with a damp towel. If you put it away like that, you have problems.

The problem is mitigated entirely by keeping a dry towel next to your station. It becomes a simple habit to quickly wipe your knife and board off after use.

Yeap, cleaning rag, sani water, dry towel. Everytime! And smack anyone who touches it without asking! :D There will be some upkeep regardless of steel type until a patina or age sets in. There are so many threads on that I won't beat a dead horse.

I personally had problems with it when I first got one but I learned quick and now I don't have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 am 

Lots of variables but your knife will tell you in a hurry when there is a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:09 am 

I have blue #2 in stainless clad. I allowed a natural patina to form, took only a few days. After that I've not been too worried about it. I have no issue leaving it for 5 to 10 mins, no smell, if I'm concerned about transfer to food I just wipe it before cutting again. My blue 2 has not shown rust at any time.

Iron cladding on the other hand smells and turns brown very quickly. It was the cladding on a white #2 knife. I would say the cladding was more reactive than the core which in other threads I've mentioned doesn't make sense to me. The cladding is supposed to protect a reactive core but when the cladding is more reactive than the core its a real PITA.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:58 am 

No pro cook either, but to echo what others have said, iron cladding, until you have a strong patina formed, will react hard. That said, Nbles uses a Mizuno Tanrenjo iron clad on the line and has had relatively little trouble keeping the knife looking fairly pristine.
That said, the core carbon steel isn't going to be a problem if your moderately conscientious with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 am 

youngkossen wrote:Nowadays hair wigs have become another important part of people's daily makeup except clothes and shoes. More and more women especially young girls tend to change their monologue hairdos with colorful wigs. However, to refresh your look from time to time, how to restyle a wig is also should be paid attention to. The related specific websites can help a lot.

LOL! OUR FIRST INSTANCE OF SPAM??????

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:50 am 

I've used carbon in a pro kitchen too. It just takes a little vigilance to start; once you get used to it there are no problems. That said I do always use a stainless knife on a busy line. It's less you have to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:18 am 

ChipB wrote:No pro cook either, but to echo what others have said, iron cladding, until you have a strong patina formed, will react hard. That said, Nbles uses a Mizuno Tanrenjo iron clad on the line and has had relatively little trouble keeping the knife looking fairly pristine.
That said, the core carbon steel isn't going to be a problem if your moderately conscientious with it.

Keep a damp rag folded on the top or right above your board, keep a dry clean towel next to it or on your apron. every time you cut something wipe with the damp then with the dry wipe down board resanitize towel then reset the station. "mise en place". Just force yourself to do it. better to spend 20 seconds doing this than rusting it.

I've also learned to not trust that knife around certain coworkers and have a stainless option as well for those situations :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next