It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: alternate use for beeswax
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:34 pm 

I knew that would get some attention :lol: Just thought I'd share a cool homemaking tip: making board butter. Maybe many of you already do this, but I bought a stick of beeswax to seal a couple of tangs. Of course, it's only sold in 5oz (five bars) quantities, and I only used maybe .25 oz. Also turns out my cutting boards were on the dry side and I ran out of board butter. A quick look at the ingredients and I'm wondering if I can just make the stuff. Turns out you can - three parts oil (mineral, or any shelf-stable oil) to one part wax. Just melt everything in a jar in a double boiler (could also probably gently microwave), and there you have it.

Post subject: Re: alternate use for beeswax
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:21 pm 

Yep. Use it to oil knife handles and the wood pastry knife handle.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 am 
Site Admin

I've never tried it but I've read people use beeswax to keep bronze and other metals from developing patina. I wonder if it would work on carbon steel kitchen knives?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's a thread about making it for handle maintenance. Wood is wood is wood...

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254&hilit=00%20steel%20wool

Melampus wrote:RICH <> Let the wood get wet and then let it air dry. This might have no effect on your handles, but in all likelihood will cause the grain to rise. I then sand it lightly with fine paper, then with 000 steel wool. Slather the handles pretty liberally with a beeswax/mineral oil paste consisting of 20% beeswax:80% mineral oil mixed in a double-boiler, wipe off excess, let it sit overnight, then buff it in the morning. You could do that a few nights in a row or as needed until the handle feels silky smooth, polished and “sealed” (although, technically it’s not really sealed).

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:13 am 

I use beeswax (not the good stuff I have) on files to smooth out the cut. Very little, if any, grabbing.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:45 am 

Yep I use it on wa handles as well, which I find tend to dry out fairly quickly. I was thinking about just slapping some on my gyuto blade to see what would happen. Makes sense it would work, although I suppose there might be a minor bit of stiction due to the wax.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 pm 

I use beeswax and coconut oil, a good organic one. Often I use just the coconut oil alone. Coconut oil is anti viral and anti bacterial, much like the beeswax is, I will not use mineral oil, that's a petroleum based product.

I have been using this combo for years and never had any issues. Plus I love the gentle scent left by the oil.
Daniel

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 am 

When you buy some carbon steel pans/woks they are actually coated in beeswax for shipping since they are unseasoned. De Buyer pans come like that. So it will work on knifes. Not sure about when you go to actually cut something with the knife.

Beeswax is pretty amazing. i believe the ancient Egyptians also coated their tools with it to prevent rusting. They also used it to help waterproof boats.

But you can use it as a conditioner on all wooden cutting boards, utensils, bowls etc. and if you mix it with linseed oil you can actually polish wood with it like a coffee table or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:08 pm 

Yes beeswax is amazing. For 18th century re enacting we would melt the beeswax in trays and cut linen or canvas to fit pan, than soak cloth in melted beeswax. after stiffens you sew up a bag for dried food storage. I've had dried peas, corn meal, and corn in those bags literally for years, never any mold or anything else to destroy the food.
Daniel

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:22 pm 

I add 20% bee's wax to paraffin for wax potting guitar pickups. A guest artist we had this year did a very large, hanging installation of modules of linen over a brass armature dipped in pharmaceutical grade bee's wax. http://www.lorriefredette.com/the-great-silence.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]