It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke Blue #1 240: Coming Soon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 pm 

I am sending a return to Mark. I thought I'd do a little write-up here to promote it.

I'm returning my new Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #1 240mm for two reasons: I want a flatter profile, and I want a different handle/blade balance and aesthetic.

I sharpened the blade and used it for 3-4 dinner preps at home for small meals during the last week. It is oiled, polished, and much sharper than when I received it (although not as sharp as you guys can get it, I'm sure—I merely put a very gentle 1k/6k micro bevel on the edge). This knife was babied from the moment I got it because I was immediately suspicious as to whether it would be a keeper for aesthetic reasons.

For example, I was surprised by the handle install and the balance of the knife. I thought I would post a few pictures so that people could get a little more detail about the knife than Mark's post will include. I had Mark install a bubinga/wenge handle designed for a 240mm. Note the length and taper of the handle as compared to my Konosuke 210 in the image below (my 240 HD has virtually identical dimensions to the 210 handle, being only 1-2mm longer). The handle is a bit shorter (15mm) and thinner on purpose, to facilitate a pinch grip. The balance point is just in front of my pinch, which is probably on the pinch for someone with larger hands. The handle circumference is smaller than the Kono's usual handles (it dials in around 2 and 5/8 with a measuring tape at the ferrule seam; the same tape puts the Kono a hair shy of 2 7/8s), but it features a rather substantial taper, so the back of the handle is obviously larger and more similar to the Kono. While lighter than my Kono HD 240 with Ebony by about 13 grams, it feels substantially "heavier" due to the balance—e.g., this thing really wants to chop, but is still only 166 grams total. The blade itself appears to be almost exactly 230mm on the edge, and is a hair over 50mm from the top of the rounded spine to the edge. This is a truly awesome blade, but has just a hair more belly than I'd prefer for its purpose in my setup. As a final note, the Kanji are nice and high on the blade, so thinning/sharpening the secondary bevel over the years will not run into it like on some of the Blue #2s that I've seen posted.

Mark was very generous to accept the return based on my handle preferences, so I thought I'd give a little bonus help to aid in the sale and to ensure the next buyer knows exactly where the knife is coming from. I suspect Mark will have it sometime next week. Also: a special shout-out and thanks to Mel, who gave me simple and clear instructions as to how to post better pictures on the forum.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Blue #1 240: Coming Soon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:28 pm 

Wow. That is a gorgeous knife. Definitely looking forward to this when it is put up on the site.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:55 pm 

Yeah, it was very hard to part with, actually!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 am 

Is this knife going to be sold as "new" when it gets back to cktg?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 am 

Jared08 wrote:Is this knife going to be sold as "new" when it gets back to cktg?

I can't speak for Mark, but in my experience shopping CKTG, returns are usually listed in the close outs section and labeled a customer return. He usually has a description of the used item too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:49 am 

Jared,
Please don't do this to me. Paycheck is so close, but so so far away. I need this in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 pm 

Id like to add this to my collection.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:16 pm 

I won't be interferring with this one on ya bnguyen. Just picked up a watanabe honyaki today!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 pm 

Whoever buys this knife will be a very Happy Camper. I snagged one these 240 blue #1's before they sold out and it is fantastic blade. It is at Tim Johnson's getting handled. I put a spare handle on it to check it out before I sent it to Tim and it is an impressive cutter. One of the nicest blades on the website especially at the $$. The Wenge handle combo lightens the knife @ 166grams compared to 194grams weight for my 240 white2 with the standard ebony Kono handle.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:58 am 

wonder when mark will put this up. been checking the site and nada.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]