It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ratings system
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:22 am 

I am not sure if this has come up before but I imagine it has. I feel like there needs to be a system put in place to allow forum members to rate one another based upon sales and trade as well as trusted advice and knowledge and experience. There could be separate ratings for trade and giving good advice. One of the main reasons I feel that this needs to be put in place is so that members can trade back and forth without fear of being ripped off and to encourage the exchange of blades, stones, what have you to increase product knowledge and allow members to know what they like before they make a big purchase. I have been a member for quite awhile and I know the big names for trusted advice, but how does a new member know this and along with the previous statement, as long as I have been a member I have no idea of who I can trust for trades and sales. Sorry if this seems like a rant, the idea just popped in my head based upon other forums I have visited and I had to bring it up.

Post subject: Re: Ratings system
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:28 am 

I hear you. The classifieds can be an intimidating place for anyone to part with hard earned money. I once bought a petty knife off of Jeff B, the process was great and went smoothly so I posted in the classifieds section a "seller review" of him to help others feel more at ease about buying from him, I haven't seen anything else offered by him, but based on my first experience, I wouldn't have a hesitation if he posted something else.

Also, offhandedly, bad information doesn't fly too well around here. Other members usually will politely suggest that the poster of mistaken or misinformation is full of sh*t.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 am 

I had the same misgivings. Was looking to trade a knife a bit ago and the first offer was from someone with very few posts on the forum and no pedigree that could be at least moderately diligenced which made me a bit hesitant and, at the end of the day, did not make the trade. Ultimately, I swapped the knife with a member who has clearly been a customer of both CKTG and the handle makers on the site and is a recognized member of the community. Trade went flawlessly. The problem with your suggestion lies in the ability for newer members like myself to gain credibility in a ratings based trade market and would essentially limit it to a handful of individuals. From the perspective of the more seasoned member that traded with me, I know he was tracking the knife in question, my activity on the forum, general purchasing behavior etc. I surmise that all of this made him feel fairly comfortable that I wasn't looking to rip anyone off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:58 am 

I don't know if Dan was the first but it is nice seeing feedback in the classified section. I don't know if it is useful or practicable to formalize it, but it might be nice to drop a line when there is a transaction just mentioning things went well. At the very least it should engender a bit more trust in the forum more broadly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]