It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Acid etching - stiction reduction
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:56 pm 

I got a look at a Ken Onion Rain santoku recently and was interested by the deep etching on the sides of the blades. The claim by Onion and Chef Works is "This process reduces both surface tension and sticking. These air pockets significantly reduce the amount of surface area in contact with food being cut, resulting in a blade that slices effortlessly with an almost non-stick surface."

The blade profile and grip were pretty useless IMO, but the surface texture intrigued me. Looks like a high-tech method of accomplishing what tsuchime on some of the J knives is supposed to do. I wonder if this application could be done on some thinner knives where there isn't enough "meat" for a tsuchime finish but enough for a deep, patterned acid etch. I've also read on here that damascus blades with a deep etch have a similar feeling of reduced stiction. I wonder about the harder edges of the etch pattern catching on product versus the smooth divots in tsuchime or more linear lines on a damascus blade.

Anyone of the tinkers/builders on here tried anything like this?

-Chris

Got bacon?

Post subject: Re: Acid etching - stiction reduction
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Blades like that can reduce sticktion, but can also make a different feel thru foods. I have a Tanaka R2 with a deeply etched blade and I can feel the blade texture cutting some things like onions. Meats and potatoes, don't notice much difference. My Tanaka Sekiso has very little sticktion and is damascus, but not etched when I first got it. I could feel the slight layer difference on the cladding and I think that helped reduce sticktion a bit, even before I etched it to get a more consistent patina. When I etched, I didn't do it for very long so it didn't change the texture of the cladding.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]