It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Equipment help needed to dry cure meats
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:53 pm 

I come here for all my knife and kitchen advice so here is a new one.

Does anyone know of an easier way of doing this?
Or does anyone know of an all inclusive product I can buy?
Any website you can recommend?

I am interested in making prosciutto, dried sausages, chorizo, bacon etc. basically dried meat nirvana.  I already make sausage and smoke meats.

I am currently looking to build my own chamber of sorts. Obviously, temperature, Humidity, and airflow are key components.

I have to buy a used fridge, hygrometer, Temperature control unit (fridge to cold),  humidifier, humidifier control unit, and a small fan.  Then I have to put it together.

Thanks

El

Post subject: Re: Equipment help needed to dry cure meats
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:30 pm 

Try this link on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board:

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Charcuterie

Second sticky from the top of the page is "Sausage Making for Beginners: eCourse & Pdf" I glanced at the pdf and it began to cover equipment.

That board is mostly devoted to BBQ and Smoking using the Weber Bullet cooker. But that said it has a pretty wide draw, the participants are very friendly and they get some extremely knowledgeable and crafty contributors.

Post up over there as a newcomer and I'll bet you get plenty of offers for help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:57 pm 

There may be an all-inclusive thing, but it would probably be restaurant size and would cost accordingly. You're going to have to piece something together. Craigslist the fridge. I believe you can get integrated temperature controller and hygrostat, but it costs more than they do individually. A humidifier is cheap. If you don't want to use premade starter cultures, you can harvest them off many sausage casings and culture your own if you have the means (basically similar to culturing yeast for beer).

Bacon, and smaller whole muscles (guanciale, bresaola, lonzino, coppa) can be done in your regular fridge with minimal work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm 

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/07/ ... r.html?m=1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 pm 

I hear of people using wine refrigerators for home curing, they have a humidity adjustment.I haven't investigated further as yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:48 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:I hear of people using wine refrigerators for home curing, they have a humidity adjustment.I haven't investigated further as yet.

it would need to have temp control as well

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 am 

Drtrinidad wrote:
Dan_Crubenew wrote:I hear of people using wine refrigerators for home curing, they have a humidity adjustment.I haven't investigated further as yet.

it would need to have temp control as well

Most do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:00 pm 

If you have a little extra cash and prefer not to run a whole mess of wires, this is a really convenient thing:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=377

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 pm 

Dinoadventure - I bought the item yesterday. I bought a used humidifier a few days back. Used fridge is next

Thank you all for the input and links.

El

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 pm 

For bacon you cure it in a normal fridge.. just make sure it has a drain pain, then it gets smoked

You're looking for a dry cure box... a friend of mine converted an old 50s fridge into one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]