It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sujihiki length preference?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:19 pm 

I'm to the point of looking to add a suji to my arsenal. I'm curious about the pros/cons of a 270 vs. 300 length. I'd like to leave the particulars open with regard to home v. pro, thick v. thin in the hope that the topic is approached from multiple angles rather than what is right for me. I have a feeling this may be useful to a few of us in the short term. :)

So, for those of you with experience using such slicing machines what have you learned?

Merci.

Post subject: Re: Sujihiki length preference?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 pm 

I use my 300mm more than my 240mm.

With the 240, you can run out of knife before you run out of cut.

Never tried a 270mm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:43 pm 

I have 2, one stiff, one flexible. For pull cuts, both work fine. I prefer to stiffer one for push cuts. The flexible one makes for a nice, long fish prep knife that excels at removing skin from salmon and tuna. Both are 270mm, I kinda wish I had the stiffer one in 300mm. The flexible one @ 270mm is perfect - don't find the need for the extra inch. I have a pretty large prep board, so not limited on size there, but I see how those with smaller boards/prep areas might have to shift down to 270 or 240mm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:17 pm 

For home cook use I think a 270MM is perfect. I used my Richmond AS 270 Suji last night to cut a fairly small boneless pork loin.
Even on a fairly small cut of meat, it takes one nice draw of the blade to cut all the way through.
You guys on the line, if you are working with larger cuts of meat, a 270 or a 300 if probably the way to go.
The Richmond AS is thick at the spine, but very thin at the edge. I can do double duty for veggie prep since it's sturdy.
IMHO the only flexible blade knife I would use is a boning knife.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 pm 

phillysco wrote:IMHO the only flexible blade knife I would use is a boning knife.

To each his own, I guess. My 270mm Richmond Artifex is my favorite skinning (fish) knife I have, and I have tried quite a few. Most boning knives just aren't long enough, and you end up having to saw back and forth. That suji has just enough flex to get next to the skin, clear knuckles, and pull through on a salmon skin. Perhaps calling it flexible isn't truly accurate - semi-flexible might be more apropos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 pm 

I agree. A thin 270mm sujihiki with just a hint of flex is perfect for skinning. As for other uses, mine sometimes carves beef, often tenderloin. Much longer and I think I might stab a guest! For some beef cuts I would really like those 30mm, but for the most part 270 has proven sufficient.

240 would simply not be long enough for my professional use. As a prep knife, perhaps, but then I would sooner have my chef knife for the better versatility.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

SNIPES <> For me, a 270 is the best compromise. A 300 is great WHEN you have the space & have a large roast, for example, but it's not an everyday length, for me. You can use a 270 where you'd use a 300, but you can't always use a 300 where you'd use a 270.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:18 am 
Site Admin

270 for me. 300 is a lot of knife for home use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm 

I have a 300 and it's nice to have that extra length when you need it but can be overkill at times. I wood recommend getting one of each. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 pm 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]