It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Now i want a Nakiri
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:17 am 

I would mosdef get a Masakage but 165 too short for my taste, Although their height is perfect, it just doesn't balance out the diminutive blade road for me.
The Large Takeda Stainless is very attractive especially, at $290.
How about the Itto-Rentetsu Schroeder? Perfect length, good height easy money, but let's not forget about the Kiyoshi Kato, I'd have to wait another coupla weeks.
The monkey on my back wants another banana NOW!!!
And the KonoFujiBlue just doesn't seem tall enough.
Oh, Well, Thanks for letting me share, I'll keep coming back. :D

Post subject: Re: Now i want a Nakiri
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 am 

The Kono blue Nakiri, will be an exceptional knife. At 50mm will require a little more precision and better sharpening habits....but will be totally worth it.

Takeda is also very good, ime.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:41 pm 

me too
i also really like the takeda but i recently got to use a murata (western handle) and its an awesome knife
i wish i could have both!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 pm 

I like my Takeda quite a bit. It was the fourth or fifth nakiri I tried, and the one I like the best, by far. It's nice and thin and light, and I prefer the 180ish length over a 165, as well as it being a fairly tall 57mm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:07 pm 

The Takeda is the one that's been nagging at me. Price wise, it's very doable to keep the monkey satisfied, this week. Thanks for the slight nudge Todd.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:09 pm 

I need to pop my Takeda cherry anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 pm 

All these threads on Nakiris, now I want one. But I'm looking at the artifex nakiri. I don't have an AEB-L knife yet, I like that the artifex handle is kinda like a WA handle but is durable pakka wood, balance point is probably where the handle meets the neck, is low maintenance, single steel...and cheap. Only down side is that it is short, about 47mm as compared to most nakiris at 50 or more mm. I know how to put a decent edge on it. Would it hold its own against these more expensive blades?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:09 pm 

rayong wrote:All these threads on Nakiris, now I want one. But I'm looking at the artifex nakiri. I don't have an AEB-L knife yet, I like that the artifex handle is kinda like a WA handle but is durable pakka wood, balance point is probably where the handle meets the neck, is low maintenance, single steel...and cheap. Only down side is that it is short, about 47mm as compared to most nakiris at 50 or more mm. I know how to put a decent edge on it. Would it hold its own against these more expensive blades?

Well here's the thing. The grinds on the artifex line just aren't as good as your more "highend" blades. This being said, you could work with it a bit on your stones and turn it into quite the knife. But it's still a great knife OOTB.

For a naikiri, which IMO is meant for fun and not hardcore tasks. The artifex line would be perfect. You shouldn't look for the best specs on paper for your first naikiri. Purchase one and them evaluate what your like and dislike about it.

For example, you wish it was taller/longer, shorter, more weight, less weight, etc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]