It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: From Grandmother's House
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:21 pm 

My paternal grandmother passed away quite a few years ago and, due to some familial issues, her house has never been truly cleared out. I had a day off today and went that direction, not expecting to see much of interest. Little did I know what was to come! Behold, the perfect picture of the perils of the electric knife sharpener!
It's fortunate I had not fully considered my culinary hobby/profession before she had her first stroke. We would have had serious issues regarding knife maintenance.

The knife has no specific demarcations or brands. It's got a very strong distal taper and, once I got it on a diamond plate, it sharpened up into a clean edge immediately. Likewise, the handle is in great shape. A little sanding and a little oil will have it looking good. I'm going to see about getting it onto a grinding wheel and try to bring it down into some semblance of a thick petty or short slicer, just as a memento and project. Wish me luck!

Post subject: Re: From Grandmother's House
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:55 pm 

:lol:

That is a hell of a profile. Please let us know if you find a task that that excels at.

...I have one of my grandfathers knives that is about as tall as it is thick.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm 

You could potentially turn it into a boning or fillet knife if it isn't too thick. Thats a pretty interesting project. I can't wait to see where you go with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 pm 

Wow...how did she even use that thing!?!?!?!?

It will be interesting to see how it looks when you done with it!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:24 am 

When I saw the first pic I thought it was some kind of farming tool from the 1790's. How long is it? Or take a lot off and make it into a pairing knife.

I can't wait to have updated pictures of this.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:50 am 

It's a full ten inch carbon knife. I haven't had time to get access to the wheel and I really don't want to do this on a stone! I'm thinking a boning or utility knife; we'll see. I certainly won't use it much, but it would be nice to remember her as I have my grandfather's pocket watch to go beside it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 am 
Forum Moderator

LEPUS <> Considering how you resonate with cutlery I think that's an awesome keepsake, and if you do choose to alter it into a working knife - if you intend on bringing it back to life... I clearly see a honesuki profile in it.

Just sayin... 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. If you shorten it by a few inches, you'll have a thicker section with which to work out a sort of Tanto style Honesuke tip.

Personally though - I'd just frame it and put in on the wall somewhere appropriate.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]