It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CKTG card-stock edge guard mod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:39 am 

When I ordered my first knife from CKTG, I also order one of their super premium card-stock edge guards. I know that the $30 sayas are the best option for protecting a knife in a war zone, but I think for most of us kitchen ninjas, the card stock versions are just fine. Unfortunately like probably everyone that has used them, I noticed the lack of grip on the blade. Hey what exactly do you cheap asses expect, it's 50¢.

I saw lots of potential with the guards, so I set out on a journey to improve them. I inquired with several engineers that all told me I was wasting my time, but I laughed at them for being so short sighted. I was determined. I stayed up all night for a week straight, constantly yearning for something better. Finally, the idea for a solution came to me.

Introducing my modded, CKTG card-stock edge guard v2.0 with custom friction retention adjustment and bolster indexing slot:

The clip squeezes the edge guard enough to increase friction, but not enough to prevent a Gyuto from sliding in freely. The custom adjustments allow you to move the clip towards the tip for taller blades, towards the heel for shorter height blades. For very short height knives like a petty, you can use a clip on the edge side and a clip on the spine side.

For those of you brave enough to do this mod yourself, you can find the clips below, but I feel I must warn others this mod requires great concentration and patience. I might offer to perform these mods for others at the low cost of $7.34, with carrier pigeon as the preferred shipping method and I don't do paypal, but rolls of pennies are accepted.

http://t.staples.com/OIC-Small-Binder-C ... uct_831270

Got bacon?

Post subject: Re: CKTG card-stock edge guard mod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Brilliant! :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 am 

Ha! Love it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:32 am 

nicely done!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:51 am 

I like the adjustability and reusability of your solution.

I chose to go with a more permanent option.

The method I used

Step 1 I adjusted the opening angle to ensure total blade coverage, not necessary on all knives but a must for the Victorinox Knives I was covering.

Step 2 I trimmed the sleeve to a length long enough to completely cover the blade but removed the excess.

Step 3 While the blade was in the sleeve I compressed the sleeve with my fingers over the blade to leave an outline of the blade in the sleeve. See Step 4 for blade orientation and positioning comment.

Step 4 I ran several staples about 3/16 of an inch from the blade indentation in the sleeve. For those who are wondering, I removed the blade from the sleeve before stapling and made the opening a little bigger not smaller. I also made sure the edge was facing the fold in the sleeve so that the staples would be along the spine of the blade and not the cutting edge.

The completed sleeve fits perfectly and other than being permanent, I see the advantages to be. 1 no risk of the retention devise being knocked loose and 2 the thinner profile of the staples minimizes the risk of damage to other knives in the case they are being carried in. I used this method for smaller knives and used the plastic sleeves for the chef knives so I would need to see if running staples in a sleeve with a chef knife would be possible.

I will try to post photos but am traveling at the moment.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 am 

Awesome idea. Don't worry about the engineers, the market is out there. I might give this a whirl.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 am 

Lol, I needed to increase the friction of the sleeve and had a box of these in my desk- 5 second fix. Just wanted to have a little fun with my description. I could have just said "use a binder clip to squeeze the sleeve" but that's boring. These clips have quite good tension, so I don't see them being removed unintentionally. If one does fall off, they're cheap enough to carry spare for the mobile types.

For a 50¢ item, plus 10¢ for the clip, the card-stock edge guards are pretty useful and affordable. I like that they can be used on a knife hanging from a magnet bar and they're less bulky than other options I've seen. At that price, a person could get one for every knife they own, especially the ones they don't have boxes for. Being that cheap, if you muck one up trying to custom fit it for a particular knife you can scrap it and try on another one. Only for the really small knives like a 90mm petty would the width of the guard be troublesome for.

Got bacon?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 am 

When transporting knives it's beyond important to have some sort of protection. Even cheap sleeves are so much better than naked knives. I like this trick a lot, though I might grip them on the spine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:53 am 

although not as fun as cutting a cardboard saya and wrapping it in funky duct tape. but those cardboard covers are so informative maybe clear packing tape is more appropriate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 am 

Lepus, I tried that but I found the edge side to be best. YMMV

I initially clamped it behind the choil, similar to the pin on a saya, but found it too cumbersome to remove the clip each time.

I tried it on the spine side but that pushed the edge farther down and made it more likely to cut through at the fold. You could put the clamp directly over the blade on the spine side, but this increases the friction on a Gyuto so much that you can't safely pull the knife out and have to take the clip off to put it back in the sleeve.

With it on the edge side, the friction is enough to hold fast but not so tight as to complicate inserting the blade. Another advantage to having it on the edge side is that it pinches the card stock on the side of the blade with the edge fitting in the narrow space between the card-stock and away from the fold where it can cut through.

Got bacon?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next