It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro ITK petty tweak
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:09 pm 

Picked up a Tojiro ITK petty as a "practice knife" for sharpening etc. Fairly impressive cutting performance right out of the box so I have yet to start really sharpening it. However I did not care for the finish, sharp edges on spine, roughness (for lack of a better term) around the kanji. Spent a few min with as file on the spine and then a short session with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, here are the results so far.

Figure I should probably knock the handle off and do the sandpaper treatment to the whole blade (I'm going the long way). When I put it back I can seal the joint with glue or wax (I think I saw pics of others doing this but I cannot find them now).

I know there have been reports of the ITK knives being very reactive (at least in the Gyuto), have not really found that to be the case here. Have not tested since removing the finish but previous to that was just getting a hint of pantina. This was after cutting onions and veg, cut some lemons and did not wipe it down - cleaned after the juice dried - barely a hint. Tried mustard, twice, just a very light yellow tinge. I'll have to try protein (chicken or beef) to see if I can get a blue tinge.

Anyone force a blue patina on and ITK? Also if you have done similar, how far did you take the sanding/polish? I have wet/dry paper (automotive) to 2000 that would basically get it to a mirror finish but that seems a waste of time.

Paul

Post subject: Re: Tojiro ITK petty tweak
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 pm 

Paul,
I had the pleasure of using Carols 240 and it was VERY reactive.
I own the 120 petty and gave it the same treatment that you did with yours.
I removed all of the KU, sanded the choil and spine and sharpened it to ridiculousness.

Removing the handle.
I found the easiest way to get it off was to clamp the blade between two 2x4's and use a block of wood and hammer to gently persuade the handle to come off. It was like a rusty nut - once you break it free it comes off easy.

Patina
The 240 more or less refused to take any patina.
I tried mustard's (french's and a store brand), vinegar, grapefruit juice.. and none of it took well.
The 120 on the other hand... it reacted to all of the treatments. I think what worked the best was heated vinegar. I just put it 100% strength into a sauce pain and brought it up to a boil.
I forced the initial patina so the blade was a bit less reactive. My 120 now has a beautiful natural patina and is far less reactive than it was at first.
George just returned my new Goko 150 petty.. and he used it to cut hot beef and/or pork, and it looks great.

As for the sanding.
I sort of cheat a little on the spine and coil. I use a Dremel 520 Polishing Wheel. One trick I've found with these wheels is to chuck it up and then take it to 120 grit sand paper; so it runs true. If you just put it in and go at the blade.. it will bounce all over and leave a weird pattern on whatever it is you're working on.

If sanding with paper(s).. I went to 800.
It seems to closed up the grain rather well and is certainly more comfortable on the hands. The only benefit you would gain from going to 2k is a slight increase, or delay in how the polished area reacts to ingredients. Steel is like wood, in a sense. The more you sand it and close the grain, the more difficult it is for ingredients to penetrate the surface. I agree it's a waste of time. It will soon patina and not bee seen anyway ;)
If you're just going for smooth 320/400 is probably more than plenty.

Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

They always look 100 times better when they're stripped down and polished.

I wonder if they would do them this way for me???

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:55 pm 

PLEASE ASK!!! for all KU knives please ;). I tried this with a Kajiwara 105mm petty and it turned out great until my mom tried to smash frozen soup with it! now a 90mm petty >.> you can really get a nice hairline finish on them without too much effort with Gopher's method.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm 

Just an update and a few additional thoughts
Removal of handle was easy enough (multiple videos out there showing how to hold the blade to a wood block butted up against the handle, strike the wood block to drive the handle off). I stopped at 800 grit, also tung oiled the handle. Reassembled and brought it to the 1000 shapton stone. This was the first sharpening session with a J knife, amazing how quickly you can get a bur. As the knife was not dull before hand things only took a few minutes, not sure that I improved the edge any from the original but I certainly did not do it any harm - all to the good. Purpose of this knife is really to practice on, and this reinforces comments elsewhere to master a 1K stone first. I'll use it a bit then maybe dull it on purpose before hitting the stone next time.

I did force some blue and brown patena using a combo of mustard and vinegar (did not try the boiled vinegar treatment) which is fine to start things off.

Really nice knives to practice on given the low cost low risk, but the up side is you wind up with a very sharp knife.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:14 pm 

Looking good Paul!

http://www.blackstoneknife.com
https://www.facebook.com/BlackstoneKnifeCo
Bushcrafter Pre buy sign up

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]