It is currently Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:36 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Screw tops on wine. For or against?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:21 pm 

Simple question. Are you for or against screw tops on good wine?

I'd been enjoying a pretty nice local Cab Franc this week with a screw top. Didn't think much of it.

Opened a really nice (excellent actually ) Zinfandel this evening with a pretty not so great cork. The wine is very nice but the cork sort of detracted from the experience. Am wondering if I would have felt better with a simple screw top than a cheaper cork.

Since I know nobody on this board has strong opinions or such thought I'd toss the question out there to see what trouble I can cause this Friday evening.....

Post subject: Re: Screw tops on wine. For or against?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Do people fight about this kind of thing?

Personally I don't discriminate against capped wine vs corked. I grew up on beer and they mostly have caps.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 am 

Against them. You can't deburr with a screw top.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:52 am 

I miss the ritual of uncorking a nice bottle, but the screw top sure is easy, and I have never had an issue with a screw top bottle. And, on the rare occasion it is necessary to put the top back on and lay the bottle down in the fridge, the screw tops don't leak. Having said that, I prefer cork...just wish it was more sustainable....a lot of the new cork is crappy....just my $.02.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:12 am 

I'm getting a lot more comfortable with screw tops to the point where I don't even think about it much anymore. Although the that "wino" feeling sometimes creeps in when I twist the top off. I mean I do take it out of the bag first! What bothers me are the plastic corks I don't even like holding them.
Anyone here know how sake was stoppered before screw caps?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:09 am 

Carter wrote:I miss the ritual of uncorking a nice bottle, but the screw top sure is easy, and I have never had an issue with a screw top bottle. And, on the rare occasion it is necessary to put the top back on and lay the bottle down in the fridge, the screw tops don't leak. Having said that, I prefer cork...just wish it was more sustainable....a lot of the new cork is crappy....just my $.02.

+1. The issue with corks is getting a bad cork....and discovering this many years later when the wine is dead/corked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:31 am 

For me it's going to come down to the cost of the bottle, I'm not sure I want to see a screw top on a $50+ dollar bottle of wine. Less than that I'm probably ok.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:14 am 

For, but with minor reservations.

Screw caps are, beyond much doubt, a superior method of sealing most wines. They don't fail, they don't go bad, they're easier to open, they cost less, and they can be ecologically friendlier. As a person who likes to have a glass of wine with any possible meal but doesn't want to spend a lot on a decent bottle, screw caps are awesome.

There are two strikes against the cap. First, there is the aforementioned romance to the wine cork. Opening wine is a pleasure in and of itself, much the same way as it is pleasurable to read a physical book instead of an electronic copy. But wine has so many other romanticisms I don't think it looses out too much from skipping the cork. To my barbarous American eyes the multiple different glasses and the act of selecting the perfect wine keeps it special. In some ways it's nice to demystify wine a bit. Many Americans have a stuffy perspective which prevents them enjoying wine in a vibrant way.

More importantly, there are reasonable concerns regarding the aging process. Some very important wine experts say the cork and the airflow it allows are vital. This is somewhat harder to prove because, frankly, the sort of wine that needs decades to delicately age well hasn't hostorically been offered with a cap. It will be interesting to watch in the future as capped Australian wines hit their stride.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:08 pm 

Lepus, you impress me with your knowledge of the current state of the cork and what the Aussies have been testing / leading the past decade or so. Next year when you and your bride are in town I'll bring a nice bottle to breakfast. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm 

I've been drinking with a guy studying for his level three sommelier exam. It's been educational. He even convinced me to read a few wine texts.

As for wine at breakfast, I'm 100% for it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next