It is currently Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: So, you want to learn single bevel sharpening?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm purposely posting this in the General Discussion. I can either move it or duplicate in the Sharpening sub forum if you folks think it would be more appropriate.

If you are wondering what traditional single bevel Japanese knives are about and you're interested in learning single bevel sharpening techniques, consider getting one (or more) of the following knives:

Okeya White #2 24mm Kiridashi Kogatana
Okeya White #2 Ko-Deba 105mm
Okeya White #2 Ko-Deba 120mm

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/okeyaknives.html

After sharpening the Kogatana and trying different stones/finishing techniques, I'm of the opinion that these would make fantastic, inexpensive tools with which to learn the ways of sharpening traditional knives.

For more info on these, and my reasoning, you can check out my videos on the Kogatana and 105 Ko-Deba, which should be on the product pages shortly.

EDIT: Looks like the Ko-Deba knives are currently OOS (5/19/2015). Snap up a Kogatana while they're still in stock :-).

Post subject: Re: So, you want to learn single bevel sharpening?
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:24 am 

Steve, I had been thinking of the Kogatana as a way to upgrade the little victornex with a curved blade that we use for removing plastic wrap on various food products. To upgrade even more, the Kogatana would do well to have a nice sheath.?? Kind of like,the one Shaun has on his utility knife???

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:42 am 

Steve do you have a video or practitioner you would recommend to learn the techniques?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

@Maui - no, not off hand. Maybe people could chime in here with some suggestions.

@Bill - yes the Kotagana really needs a sheath or something for storage and/or for on-person carry. Besides leather, a taco-style Kydex sheath might be cool. Right now, I've got it stored in the original box, but that's not very convenient :-).

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:41 pm 

mauichef wrote:Steve do you have a video or practitioner you would recommend to learn the techniques?

------
Lesson 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExpQB_W ... 9_PSkXWiN6

Lesson 17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqp7Fj ... N6&index=4

Lesson 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAL2On ... 6&index=10

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 pm 

I might need to pick one of these up.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:07 pm 

Thanks Steve.
I love watching Master Sugar sharpen, he seems so friendly. Thanks for the links gladius.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

FYI more 120mm debas were just air mailed to me so I should have them in a few days. I'm really happy these have become a hit. I try hard to find good, lower priced stuff so the site doesn't become a high end boutique.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm 

I've got one of the 105mm deba's and love it. It was pretty dull when it arrived and had to grind the flat side a good bit to get it to get it even. That said after about 45 min of work its a fantastic little knife. Handle and bolster are rough but that isn't a big deal for me. It's a $45 knife that gets sharper than it needs to be and I would not feel bad putting it through hell.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]