It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wa handle Kikuichi TKC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:47 pm 

The Kikuichi TKC is such a popular knife, why don't they make a wa handle version. I think a wa handled version of this knife could be my go to gyuto for work for several reasons. The wa handle would make it lighter, the steel is amazing, and it is priced low enough to use in a hectic professional environment without too much fear of damage or theft (lets face it, I am not taking my $294 Kono funayuki/gyuto to work). Mark lets make this happen.

Post subject: Re: Wa handle Kikuichi TKC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

JW <> :? So you have no problem bringing a $220 TKC into work, but a $268 HD is cool?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 pm 

Plenty of custom knife handle makers on this forum and else where would be happy to make that happen for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

I converted one to a Wa and it came out pretty sweet! Lost a noticeable amount of weight, even with a stabilized burl handle.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:42 pm 

Melampus wrote:JW <> :? So you have no problem bringing a $220 TKC into work, but a $268 HD is cool?

No I said I have the funayuki/gyuto which is $294. I know the difference of $220 and $294 isn't that much; I just think a light, thin, expensive laser wouldn't do so well in my work situation. By comparison the TKC is much more of a workhorse and I do understand I could have it rehandled, I just wouldn't want to spend the extra money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 pm 

I really do like the idea of a from-the-factory wa-handled TKC. That would be on my wish list for sure. The conversion cost isn't totally prohibitive but not paying extra to get the wa would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 pm 

estayton wrote:I really do like the idea of a from-the-factory wa-handled TKC. That would be on my wish list for sure. The conversion cost isn't totally prohibitive but not paying extra to get the wa would be nice.

exactly, why would I buy something knowing that I would want to change it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd love to see a wa handled TKC. That would be very nice.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:55 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:I'd love to see a wa handled TKC. That would be very nice.

I recall seeing a picture of a Tim Johnson rehandled TCK.
I'll dig around tomorrow and see if I can dig it up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Jwesly1 wrote:The Kikuichi TKC is such a popular knife, why don't they make a wa handle version. I think a wa handled version of this knife could be my go to gyuto for work for several reasons. The wa handle would make it lighter, the steel is amazing, and it is priced low enough to use in a hectic professional environment without too much fear of damage or theft (lets face it, I am not taking my $294 Kono funayuki/gyuto to work). Mark lets make this happen.

I recently placed an order for more 240 TKC's and they told me the factory was backed up and it would take 6-7 months to get more. I don't think I have the patience to do a wa gyuto version of this knife. Also, as was mentioned the Kono HD is a good alternative.

I'll bring it up with Kikuichi and see what they say but my hopes are low for this one.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next