It is currently Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takeda Stainless Clad Funayuki
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:08 am 

Hi. I'm looking into purchasing this knife. I wanted to add something sub 8" to my collection. I wanted to to be carbon and clad construction or at least carbon with non stainless kurouchi cladding. I also want the knife to be thin and light with exceptional fit and finish and a relatively flat profile.

My main concern is all the people saying that Takedas knives have bad grinds lately. so i am hesitate to purchase. Do you all think I shouldn't have to worry about the grind? Should I consider something else? If it comes with a bad grind will CKTG allow me to exchange it for another? Should I give them a call to see if they can pick me one with a good grind from the ones they have in stock?

Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Takeda Stainless Clad Funayuki
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 am 

It sounds like there was a time of trial & error but have since mastered the technique...

ref. http://takedahamono.com/english/

"We needed about 2 years to develop our skill of forge NAS
    material. Now we succeed to make NAS knives as same traditional
    way that my father taught me. Also, we had to add several
    special technique in the case of NAS.
    "

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:57 am 

I can't comment on the rumors of grind issues. I have only handles one example of a Takeda and it was an excellent knife.

Can't speak on behalf of CKTG, but Mark has always been exceptionally accommodating in my transactions with him.

Do contact Mark and see about options for selecting a specific example. At the very least you can request in the comments section at checkout that they check a few for the best grind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:25 am 

Thanks to both of you for the information.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]