It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The "precious princess" turns into a beast
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:08 am 

Anyone have that one knife that they can't help but baby. You don't want it to get banged and scratched up, you want the edge in perfect shape and polished to hell.

I had that knife, but tonight we were really in the shit... Like really quite badly in the shit. $3k hour was the busiest tonight, oh, and also one man short.

The precious beauty queen became the beast of the night slicing and dicing anything that came it's way.

I didn't want to do it, but I'm glad I took the plunge.

So the question to you is. Do you have a knife that you baby and take extra precaution on even though it might not need that attention and care?

Post subject: Re: The "precious princess" turns into a beast
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 am 

Moritaka KS with custom Stephan Keller handle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:39 am 

I just got a Kono HD2 240 gyuto, I have been slowing using it more and more at work (cuts like a f'n dream). Still babying it. People at my work tend to just grab what knife is available when it is busy, and it is busy a lot, haha. My work horse is the richmond AS 240 gyuto, which is an awesome knife. first week I had it, I was shy with it, we got super busy one night on the hot line, and I just said what ever and used it for everything all of service, it developed a deep patina that night, and I have been using it everyday since. Prolly cut 10,000Ibs of food with it. She is like my best friend haha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:00 am 

what knife are you talking about? I want my edge to cut like a demon from hell and if it looks polished great, if not I don't care. I just like things that cut well. But it does seem pretty stupid to bring an ultra high end knife into a situation where an idiotic staff member might do something stupid.

I baby my 3$ forgecraft thrift store knife...It's been ground to heck and looks nothing like the original factory knife. I have to say the softer carbon takes a 5k edge better than my Aogami Super...I don't get it...I guess it could be the absurdly convexed edge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:29 am 

I've got a a Maruyoshi HD Gyuto that I've barely used and baby the hell out of it when I do... mostly for sentimental reasons. It has my family name Kanji engraved on it and so far I've managed to keep it looking new.

I'm also curious to know which knife was formerly your princess Lunatic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am 

Yeah, I have a Tsuchime Damascus that I baby for no real reason other than it was my first "real" knife. It definitely doesn't need to be babied, but I just can't help it. I keep it at home for the kitchen so I don't need to drag all my knives out, unless I want to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm 

Just a home cook here, so I'm not pounding through cases of produce. I probably tend to baby everything more than I need to.
However I'm probably easiest on my Carters.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm 

tend to baby my w#1 fujiama 270, its just so pretty! only take her out to special occasions, treat her better than some of the others.. its silly really they are all meant to be used but on some it just feels like you shouldn't... lol.. and that's why we keep buying more I guess~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:Yeah, I have a Tsuchime Damascus that I baby for no real reason other than it was my first "real" knife. It definitely doesn't need to be babied, but I just can't help it. I keep it at home for the kitchen so I don't need to drag all my knives out, unless I want to.

Exactly my experience; it might be the same knife!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm 

The knife that I baby has to be my kohetsu. It's only my second carbon knife and even though it's clad I still worry for the core steel.
But I've learned to just wipe it off regularly and since it has become my line knife where as before it would only be deemed for prep.

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next