It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Random thoughts on gifting knives
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:01 am 

I suppose like many of you I have acquired way more knives than I can use. My though is always that I'll just pass it on if it doesn't replace something else. Of course, things don't really work out that way...

Unless the knife is a complete piece of junk, I end up thinking my friends and family won't appreciate and care for the knife the way it *deserves,* never mind that it's an inanimate object that's going to sit in a box forever, because I have something else that I marginally prefer. So there's boxes and boxes of the things, sitting in the spare bedroom along with the china that is too nice to use, books that I forgot I already had, etc.

Can you really blame me, though? These are people who've actually bought Cutco! They own glass cutting boards!

Giving a knife feels like a huge responsibility (to the knife, I mean). There's a pretty good chance a careless user will do some pretty serious, permanent damage left unattended. Can you really teach a marginally interested IT guy/architect/whatever the whole culture of the knife you've spent years acquiring? You -know- they're going to put that nice blade in the dishwasher the moment you turn your back!

What brought this on is that my youngest brother asked to "borrow" one of my knives for cooking class. Instead of giving him one of my nice-but-not-favorites that are boxed up, I went and bought a new one. (I think I might have subconsciously selected one I didn't like just so I wouldn't be sad when he inevitably ruins it.) Objectively, this is just wasting money.

So, yeah. Is this crazy or totally rational?

Post subject: Re: Random thoughts on gifting knives
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:36 am 

sometimes to hang on you just have to let go

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 pm 

You had me up until bought one for him to use. I would have handled that situation differently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 pm 

From my experience there is two extremes. My best friends family owns a kikuichi santoku, very nice knife but it sits in its box only to be taken out on the rare occasion they remember. On the other hand my brother would butter a sandwich with a gyuto if he could.

After a little while I lose some attachment to knives and the family gets to use them, but I don't think I would dare put it in a communal knife block.

In terms of how you bought your brother a knife to use. Like you said it's a waste of money, if he's using it for a cooking class he's already going to be following directions, might as well give him a piece of cutlery he can enjoy to work with, we all have beater knives that are still plenty better than that cutco junk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:10 pm 

Dakki,

I know where you're coming from. I give older knives to the non knife savvy with the thought that for a short while they will know how a knife should cut. After that, the onus is on them.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:47 pm 

It's also not fair to a good knife to have to sit in a box in a spare room. I would have given my brother one the nicer "storage" knives and give them both a chance to shine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:23 pm 

Lunatic wrote:In terms of how you bought your brother a knife to use. Like you said it's a waste of money, if he's using it for a cooking class he's already going to be following directions, might as well give him a piece of cutlery he can enjoy to work with, we all have beater knives that are still plenty better than that cutco junk.

The knife itself is an entry-level carbon nakiri. He already had a school-issue Victorinox. Both of them are a lot better than anything I had at his age. I just suspect I got him a nakiri because I don't like nakiris.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:27 pm 

A little too far, but I understand.

I have my set of knives for work. I bring them in to use, as well as let my cooks use.
It still irks me when they forget to wipe them, leave them on the counter instead of the rack, or ,even worse, drop them. Still, they're work-horses, so I've already accepted they're gonna have battlescars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 pm 

I'll gift a knife or let someone use my knives, but they gotta pass drivers-ed with me first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:I'll gift a knife or let someone use my knives, but they gotta pass drivers-ed with me first.

That made me laugh, but it does make a lot of sense if you are giving someone something MUCH different than what they are used to using. If someone is given something they are unfamiliar with that looks like something else they are used to then who is more at fault if the item is damaged, the giver or the recipient? A little run-through of particulars at least wouldn't hurt and could help the receiver get more enjoyment and less frustration from the gift. ;)

Page 1 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next