It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Business card size angle guide
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

I was thinking it might be worthwhile to put a couple angles drawn on the back of our business card so guys could cut the angle with a pair of scissors into a usable angle guide. Do you think this would be worthwhile? We could sell them for 5 cents or give them away with orders. How to figure out what is a 10 or 15 degree angle is a common question for newbie sharpeners.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Business card size angle guide
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:26 pm 

Include with every knife order, value add rather than nickle and dime. I like the idea. I imagine you could get more granular on when to include them, but that might simply add too much additional work to track.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

I could throw one in with every order but nobody would know what I was doing. Maybe making a 0 or 1 cent item page so I could explain the weird lines on the back of the card would make sense.

I don't know, maybe it's a dumb idea.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 pm 

If you put an arced angle symbol with the associated numbers between the rays/lines it would probably be intuitive (at least I would hope so). That said, not sure I would encourage noobs to go down to 10 deg. As a noob sharpener myself, I've gotten in trouble trying to take edges too thin in the past and for me 10 deg. is way too thin to maintain any kind of durability for anything other than a slicer or paring knife, let alone running the risk of getting a super tall edge bevel that messes with a grind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:51 pm 

I could throw one in with every order but nobody would know what I was doing. Maybe making a 0 or 1 cent item page so I could explain the weird lines on the back of the card would make sense.

I don't know, maybe it's a dumb idea.

I think new users would greatly appreciate it. Little things like this go a long way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:55 pm 

Its not a dumb idea at all, I just think charging for it, even if it's a nominal fee, is the wrong way to go. The most efficient option from trying to contain unnecessary costs would be some type of zero dollar checkbox during checkout, but without understanding your fulfillment process the cost savings may be overshadowed by the increased operational headaches. It's far from a dumb idea though, its a very good one IMO. It doesn't have to be fancy. Shoot I recall at one point finding a picture of a protractor online and printing it so I could figure out what 12º looked like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 pm 

I bet the company that does sharpies and pens for you could do little plastic protractors. Just have them do up a small thin plastic machinists protractor, the flimsy thinner-than-a-credit-card ones, and have your business card printed right on the blank side. I doubt they'd cost more than a quarter a piece in quantity. I'm sure you already do refrigerator magnets. That would be another more durable option that could get wet, or whatever and still be functional. It would also give the customer a reason to keep the magnet, I know most of the ones I get end up in the bin relatively quickly, but thats more a function of the fact that my fridge isn't magnetic. My range hood is, but I'm not putting an advert on my $2500 viking range hood.

The business card is a cost effective medium, but the value added is minimal. Just a balance of utility to the customer vs. cost for what is essentially and unnecessary add in on your part.

Definitely not a bad idea though. Even just a pie slice shape with indicators at 20, 17.5, 15, 12.5, and 10 degrees would be cool. You're probably right that you'd have to include a line about how to use it...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:34 pm 

I think it's a very good idea. Everyone I have ever showed how to sharpen ask me "how do I know what 15* looks like?". Anything to give them a starting point is of help! Many people that buy angle guides with stones just want to what angle to hold the knife.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Shaun, do you still have the file for that angle guide we put on the knife guard? If you do I might be able to go to vista print or some similar outfit and make a card with it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:57 pm 

First post in quite a while,

I think it's a splendid idea, however it would be more beneficial to fold the card rather than right out cut it.

I think it should be automatically included when the customer purchases one of your starter sharpening setups. It just makes sense as someone who already knows how to sharpen is unlikely to a package deal.

To solve the wet paper issue, you could always have the cards come laminated, by the time they are ruined, the customer should know they are ready to move on to free hand without aids :)

Page 1 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next