It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Salon shears - how to increase tension
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:43 pm 

Hi fellas, the lady who owns these is happy with the sharpening, no problem there. The issue is tension, there is none and I'm not too sure how to increase/add any but here is my idea:

I take them apart and insert a very small spacer over the little bolt and then put them back together, it sounds pretty simple but there is almost no space in between. I can tighten the screw to my hearts content but it makes no difference so I am thinking a very very thin washer will do the trick but I have no experience with this type of thing. I don't know why the tension was lost in the first place unless through normal wear and tear it just happened.

I'm open to suggestions, I'll give this a shot though.....assuming the two blades come apart of course.

Thank you.
Peter

Post subject: Re: Salon shears - how to increase tension
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:06 pm 

Sailor wrote:.....assuming the two blades come apart of course.

Thank you.
Peter

This is based on the assumption that you've never taken them apart. I would say over time the the blades have worn where they meet and pivot and have become thinner. The screw holding them together has a limited amount of thread and as a result the nut on the other side is seated as far as it will go if tightening it doesn't help.

If this scenario proves to be true then putting a thin washer under the nut should help if you can find one thin/small enough to fit and still be able to fully/mostly thread the nut.
You could also replace the screw with one that is full thread and that should solve the problem also. You may also have to replace the nut to if you can't find a screw with the same thread count as the old. If you can find a screw and nut that will fit but is to long you can just cut it to the length you need.

That is some babbled thoughts that went through my head while reading your post, not sure how helpful.

Good luck Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:40 pm 

You've described the scenario perfectly. I took them apart, there is no nut, just the screw. I put a washer in there but it prevented the blades from coming together properly, however the tension was great. I made a washer out of piece of nylon and our helped, a little. The key I think it's too find a washer of the correct size. I didn't have any problem reassembling them with the washer installed do I'm hoping the right one will solve the problem. Awesome advice, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:45 pm 

If you have or can use a set of calipers to measure the screw shaft and head diameters, you might find a machine washer at a hardware store near you. You might have to use a stone to thin the washer if the only ones available are too thick. An alternative could be to use a nylon or nylatron pivot washer from knifekits.com or Jantz supply as they are usually thinner and may allow you to stack a couple together to get the right thickness.

Got bacon?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:06 pm 

Sand the screw down a touch so it can tighten more, or if it's not fully threaded, sand down the flat portion?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:03 pm 

I guess you posted while I was writing my first reply. You don't want to put the washer between the shear halves, you want to put it under the head of the screw on the outside of the shears.

Is the hole a blind hole or does it go all the way through? If it is a blind hole you could shorten the screw slightly so it doesn't bottom out. If it goes all the way through, then you might have to face mill or level the flat side of the shears to reduce low spots near the pivot.

Got bacon?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:08 pm 

Ok thanks, it is not a blind hole but I did put he washer in the wrong spot, I will try again. I have a pretty thin nylon washer that I will try and also a teflon washer that I will need to thin out. Thanks for the link Smokie.

I will get back to you all with a sitrep later

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:29 pm 

Sitrep:

I moved the nylon washer from between the blades to directly below the screw head as directed by Smokie, so the screwhead in the picture above now has a little bit of pink nylon showing, I trimmed it as much as I could, it's not too bad or distracting. More importantly thought it did the trick, it now has just the right amount of tension and the tension is easily adjustable by turning the screw. I'll keep an eye out for the very small washer but she'll be happy with this I think.
Thanks all for the help, it worked. I now look intelligent to the lady who owns the shears.

Peter :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 pm 

Try a little plumbers teflon thread seal tape right at the base of the screw head & a little more if needed until you have the right tension.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 pm 

Brilliant Gladius, I even have some of that.
Thank you ☺

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next