It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pepper Mill: Need a new one
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:10 am 

Time for a new pepper mill. I'm looking for a high quality mill that holds its grind setting and preferably has a hand crank. My cousin has a vintage mill with a hand crank that is the best mill I ever used, but I do not know the maker.

If you have a lead on a good mill I'd be delighted to hear about it. I would also like to know what you guys use at home and work.

Thanks

Cody

Post subject: Re: Pepper Mill: Need a new one
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:17 am 

I just bought a Peugeot. It wasn't as pricey as some out there but it wasn't cheap either. ~$40 or $50 IIRC. I have been happy with it the couple of weeks I have had it.

The grinds seem pretty consistent; the adjustment is a ring at the bottom so when the screw top that closes the mill invariably loosens, it does not alter the grind size; it puts out a lot of pepper per turn; and it does not "leak" pepper grinds when I am done turning it.

My old pepper mill was retired because it sucked at all these things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:24 am 

I was getting along pretty well with my Kuhn - Rikon high output mill plastic version until the feed door broke. It had a back and forth crank that was great for pumping out the volume. (What should I have expected for $19?)

It was promising enough though I'm going to exchange it for the metal and wood version. $40. Maybe that will hold up better.

Hope this helps. Main reason I liked it is I could crank out volume with it. Would drive me nuts trying to grind out multiple TBSPs of pepper. Would take me forever. It didn't with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:06 am 

Yeah, my current mill sucks at all those things too. The Peguet look nice. I understand they do a nifty hand cranked coffee mill as well.

The Kuhn Rikon seems like it may be a better salt mill for me. I have been using this salt from Lac Assal Djibouti that needs some heavy grinding. Here it is vs table salt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:09 am 

Brass Atlas Pepper Mills are the absolute truth.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00015USPQ

But if you take say like a week searching on amazon you can usually find an amazon warehouse deal from 25-35 bucks. A great price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:13 am 

I own the Peugeot Olivier Roellinger pepper mill. It brings a smile to my face every time I use it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:25 am 

I've used the Atlas pepper mill. They're fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 am 

I have been using a Peugeot since my first real culinary job and it still works like a dream! That was like twenty years ago!! Boy do I feel old now :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:04 am 

Here is an article and video of a few models tested on Cooks Kitchen...

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equ ... pper-mills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:46 pm 

Check out the Unicorn Magnum ( or the regular Unicorn ) peppermill, they are reliable and can grind a lot of pepper quickly if needed. I have several of their products and the first one Unicorn I bought over 15 years ago is still going strong . They are made in Nantucket Mass. and for what it's worth the Unicorn is the consistent top pick in the " Cook's Illustrated " test. BB

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next