It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shigefusa Kitaeji Gyutos
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm 

Anyone here have any experience with the Shig Kitaeji lines? They seem to be a step up in weight category from the Kasumi line and I'd love to see how it stacks up against a standard Kato in performance. As it currently stands, I'm finding that my Kato is a better cutter than my Shig Kasumi, but the Shig is a more versatile knife.
Anyway, just curious if anyone has thoughts about the heavier Shigs as their geometry is so unique, you have to imagine the performance/geometry accentuation they can achieve with a beefier blade will be pretty insane. I've also noticed the taller neck, and indeed the overall pattern, come closer to resembling Kato and Mizuno in general. I'm guessing, but could be completely wrong, that this has something to do with blade stability and strength when working with heftier knife designs. Would love to hear what some of our bladesmith's here make of it.

Post subject: Re: Shigefusa Kitaeji Gyutos
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Having owned both Kitaeji and Kasumi gyuto's from Shigefusa.....and having seen countless others....there is no difference in grind between the two in same size knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:48 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:Having owned both Kitaeji and Kasumi gyuto's from Shigefusa.....and having seen countless others....there is no difference in grind between the two in same size knives.

Interesting. How did you perceive the performance differential, if at all, given the weight? I just assumed the weight translated to a slightly thicker knife up towards the edge and, perhaps more pronounced grinds. Guess not. In any event, good to know as there isn't necessarily a huge amount of detailed opinion on the differences between the two.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

There was no performance difference and there was no perceptible weight difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm 

So sounds like the exponential price differential gets you aesthetics... That certainly tempers any interest I had in checking one out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:23 pm 

ChipB wrote:So sounds like the exponential price differential gets you aesthetics... That certainly tempers any interest I had in checking one out.

The price difference is hardly exponential, since it is between 50 and 75%.

It's more than aesthetics, though, since the kitaeji is less reactive than the kasumi, at least in my experience.

If you are looking for a workhorse gyuto, and I use the term "workhorse" in its true meaning - "a markedly useful, durable or dependable knife that is used to do a lot of work" - rather than its incorrect use to describe a heavy blade that tends to be abused, then you should get a Carter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:57 pm 

Still pretty hefty bump in price. I was under the erroneous assumption the differences between the Kasumi and Kitaeji were more than just how the cladding is handled and that the two lines might have different cutting characteristics.

Using your definition of workhorse, I'm pretty optimistic that a 240 Kato in W#2 should fit the bill, though I definitely have been interested in Carter. Have a Kato (non-JNS "Workhorse") 210, with a 240 on the way, and it is unreal. Love the Shig as a middle-weight athlete, but the edge profile on it is requiring me to adjust my cutting technique, and thus is more of a knife I am growing into.
The flat edge profile on the Kato is more of a natural fit for me, and I find it really does fall through food more effortlessly, and achieve better ingredient separation than the Shig, while the Shig, as one would expect, is more nimble and far more fun to use towards the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

The KU lines and the Kasumi/Kitaeji lines differ substantially enough to be concerned with. Perhaps that's what you're thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:39 pm 

ChipB wrote:Still pretty hefty bump in price. I was under the erroneous assumption the differences between the Kasumi and Kitaeji were more than just how the cladding is handled and that the two lines might have different cutting characteristics.

Using your definition of workhorse, I'm pretty optimistic that a 240 Kato in W#2 should fit the bill, though I definitely have been interested in Carter. Have a Kato (non-JNS "Workhorse") 210, with a 240 on the way, and it is unreal. Love the Shig as a middle-weight athlete, but the edge profile on it is requiring me to adjust my cutting technique, and thus is more of a knife I am growing into.
The flat edge profile on the Kato is more of a natural fit for me, and I find it really does fall through food more effortlessly, and achieve better ingredient separation than the Shig, while the Shig, as one would expect, is more nimble and far more fun to use towards the tip.

It's not my definition of "workhorse", but the actual definition. Remember the line from The Princess Bride? "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." That's apropos to its misuse here and on other forums.

Regardless, I made my suggestion to get your hands on a Carter based on your comments about the reactivity of the iron cladding on the knives you have. Most of the knives Murray makes are stainless clad. The exceptions are his kurouchi blades.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm 

Yeah, the reactivity of the blades, for me at least, has me forcing patinas on them, but that doesn't bother me a whole hell of a lot. That said, some stainless cladding would be more than welcome!

Didn't mean to imply the definition was yours, simply the one you are using, and the one I tend to think of as well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next