It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Well I've gone and done it. My wallet is on fire.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 pm 

Ordered a 270mm Kono HD Kiritsuke with saya, and 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 6k, and 8k shapton glass stones for the EP, and a horse butt strop kicker. That's a months rent from one of my apartments up in smoke :D , and I couldn't be happier about it. Can't wait to put the Kono to work, but I am sad to know that my Richmond Laser is probably about to take a back seat after only just over a month of daily service. I love the 240mm AS laser, but as I feared when I ordered it, it has just a little too much belly, and it's just too short to be absolutely EXACTLY what I want. Everything I've said about the knife still holds true, I absolutely love it, and It will still get a lot of use, but it is going to be playing second fiddle for sure. Both knives will become display pieces for my sharpening business as well, at farmers markets, and hunting shows, and both will still see frequent restaurant, banquet, festival, and volunteer work rotations. Can't wait to get the knife and write up a review for it. This is the most expensive knife I have ever bought, and it will be my primary knife, probably for the next 5-10 years, I'd imagine. So CHEERS everyone, happy cutting!

Post subject: Re: Well I've gone and done it. My wallet is on fire.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:05 pm 

No need to stick your toe in the water, may as well jump in with both feet! You did buy some nice stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 pm 

Beautiful choice of knife dude and so many stones. You'll be sitting by the post box in anticipation of that box of goodies :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Doug and all you guys. We appreciate your supporting us. Let me know if you need any sharpening tips. hahahahahah

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:58 pm 

I have a farmers market all day tomorrow, so at least I'll be busy during my wait... The hard part is not sharpening my 210mm petty that did 90lbs of steak trimming Sunday morning in anticipation of the shaptons. Glad I have a second SKU for "premium" sharpening (mirror polish) to help pay for the stones. Now my bench stones are really going to be in the back seat, pretty much for chip, and ding repair now. That's cool. The hard part is not buying up the stones that Rick has in the classifieds... Must remember wallet cool down period. Minimum of one week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

How many knives do you sharpen during a typical sunny day at the farmers market?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm 

At the farmers market, not too much until this time of year and later. I'll get the occasional whole block of knives during the summer, but I do get a lot of advertising out of it, and it's cheap. I usually bring along a bunch of customer and personal knives, and get a bunch of work done while I'm there, and hand out business cards all day. August, september and october I get more hunting and woods knives. Today I have about 10 knives to take with me and work on throughout the day. Theres a fair chance I'll get four or five knives from people who see me there, run home, and bring the knife back. I might get one whole block today. The most I've made at a farmers market was $125.00, so nothing major. Hunting shows, and gun shows are usually better, people buy knives at them, and get them sharpened up right away. I've never been to this particular market before, so I am not expecting a whole lot today, but I will be there next week and the week after, so I may get some decent advertising, and pick up a few customers the next couple weeks. I have off of work today anyway, and it's more fun than sitting around the house.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:02 am 

Just a recap of the market. Only did four knives in five hours, which is not a good showing, however got three rock solid commitments on full blocks for saturdays market, and I spoke at length with a local restauranteur (owns the four highest end restaurants in town) and He is going to bring me in for house sharpening service, for shop and employee knives (including his own personal, extensive, Wustoff collection). He was glad to see someone still hand sharpening, and is tired of the service from the catalog company he orders shop knives from. We talked at length about how most services like the one he uses are high RPM electric grinding systems, made for knife sharpening, yes, but the heat generated can wreak havoc on heat treatments.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:40 am 

Very cool. Looks like you're making some good connections there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:00 am 

It is good to hear you are encountering people who appreciate hand sharpening. I haven't talked to the person who frequents our local markets, but I took a look a her equipment and she seems to use an EdgePro "Pro" kit. I definitely took it as a good sign, and encouraging should I need to recommend sharpening services to anyone local, though I enjoy working on my own gear.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]