It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shun Giveaway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 pm 

So, everyone generally knows how I feel about the Shun Classic Sumo Santoku that I own. As I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to sell the knife, and I am literally using it as a bench knife, I thought it could be put to better use by someone who would actually use it to prepare food so decided to give it away. You can find some pics of it in the classifieds.

So here's the deal:

If you're interested in it, and can adequately explain how it will fill a need for you, I'll take the number of the post and run =randbetween() in Excel to determine which poster gets it. Please only respond once.

Post subject: Re: Shun Giveaway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm 

Never fully understood the negative feelings about Shuns, except for being overpriced. Never owned one myself, have sharpened a few of them several times and found them quite OK. I know a young guy who works in a welfare restaurant and takes care or his knives -- I sharpen his ones -- who could use it very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 pm 

Thanks for the offer. I wouldn't be the one using it, but my sister-in-law could put it to good use. She has some crappy knives that came from K-Mart, and has resisted my efforts to give her a proper knife from my collection because she thinks they are "too expensive" for me to give her one. If she knows that it was given to me, she'd probably take it. She was born and raised in Taiwan, so a tall knife like the Sumo would be very close to the small cleavers she grew up with.

I'd be the one sharpening it, and the VG10 in Shuns doesn't bother me at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:14 pm 

I donate food here (close to home)
http://chipsonline.org/

I know a few people that donate time here.
Let's just say they need all the help they can get.
The people they serve and the people working the kitchen need help.
They do not push religion and no judgement just plain old people helping people.

El

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 pm 

I am one of the unwashed that think Shun's are not bad knives and actually offer some nice attributes that other brands do not including a presence in the US, and a no-questions-asked warranty. That said, if you pick me I am sending it to emaduro to donate to the charity that was mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:46 pm 

The responses so far are humbling to say the least. Going to shut this down and flip a coin between benuser and emaduro. If any other worthy causes are proposed, I'd feel bad for those that did not get the knife. In fact, my Global Sai (also not selling, but use it as a banger, though my Henckels can fill that role equally as well) will be going to whoever doesn't get the Shun. Shipping is on me. PM me with the addresses you would like the knives sent to and let me know if you would like them sharpened before hand or not (Will be sharpening the Shun no matter what as I really did convert it to a bench knife). Will post shortly with the outcome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 pm 

So emaduro's charity gets the Shun and Benuser's volunteer friend gets the Global Sai. The Sai is super heavy (8.5 oz in a 7.5 in knife), but can be put through hell and back. This is basically a Western Deba for all intents and purposes. Anyway, I know it's not the Shun, but hopefully will get use. If not, let me know.

Also, emaduro and Benuser, please PM me with your details and I'll send the knives.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 am 

Two great choices!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:26 am 

Sorry Chip, still a bit overwhelmed. Most generous of your part. Thank you so much, the Global will find a good home, believe me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 am 

that was great chip. reading the posts I would voted for anyone donating it to feed lots of people. those folks deal with lots of donations many of which arent anything great they will both benefit tremendously from your generosity

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next