techniques for removing wa handle?

techniques for removing wa handle?

Feb 04, 2014#1

Searched and didn't find any hits on the forum, so thought I'd ask. Also, not sure where this should go as far as category, so I stuck it in General Discussion. Moderators, please feel free to move if you deem appropriate.

Need to remove a wa handle off a petty to make room for a new handle. Any suggestions on best technique(s)?

Thanks

Forum Moderator

Feb 04, 2014#2

Socal - here you go: handle-help-needed-t3673.html.

I just removed my first handle. I put the knife blade in my vice w/cloth and used a block of wood and hammer. I use some milder hammer taps on the wood block alternating both sides of the blade and then gave it a few good whacks and it popped off pretty easily.

Feb 04, 2014#3

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Feb 04, 2014#4

When in doubt, hit it with a hammer.

Feb 04, 2014#5

Does the technique change if they have been glued on? I have a knife I recently took the handle off, a molded plastic handle, I used a coping saw to cut along the tang and still had to use a hammer to knock off one side of the handle.

Feb 04, 2014#6

When using the above method, tape the blade up well to keep from scratching it and covering the sharp edge for safety.
              If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Feb 04, 2014#7

cedarhouse wrote:When in doubt, hit it with a hammer.
                LOL. My credo for many things!

Thanks for the links. Got the idea. Certainly not rocket science.

Feb 04, 2014#8

That video is the one I would have linked to, pretty much sums it up.
                  Only after Winter comes do we know that the pine and the cypress are the last to fade.

Forum Moderator

Feb 05, 2014#9

Yeah, not always :) I have had to chisel off handles that I installed with JB Kwik Weld piece by piece :( Some of the knives use a rubbery sealant and hammering like in the video will end up with the ferrule splitting/cracking. I have tried using metal bars and fiberglass tubes with the hammer and have had some success with removing a glued on handle in 1 piece, but about 50% of the handles have cracked when doing so.

Feb 05, 2014#10

taz575 wrote:Yeah, not always :) I have had to chisel off handles that I installed with JB Kwik Weld piece by piece :( Some of the knives use a rubbery sealant and hammering like in the video will end up with the ferrule splitting/cracking. I have tried using metal bars and fiberglass tubes with the hammer and have had some success with removing a glued on handle in 1 piece, but about 50% of the handles have cracked when doing so.

Epoxy is strong stuff, however burnt in just pops right off.

Some epoxy can be reactivated with heat, you could heat the blade but you might ruin the heat treat on it.

Read more posts (3 remaining)