It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Engraving Service
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Do you guys think we should offer custom engraving?

We are less and less of a gift oriented website but I know many of our line cook customers like to have their name on their knives or something that identifies them.

We do get requests for this kind of service from time to time. I'm not sure if it's worth the time and expense to offer it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Engraving Service
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

CKTG <> ABSOLUTELY! It's too quick & easy to do - to not - if you can. It's free money. A rotary engraver & stencils, $50 investment... voila.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:27 pm 

Thirded. I like having my initials on everything I bring into work and would happily pay a few extra bucks to have it taken care of.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:45 pm 

I'd like to see it offered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 pm 

If people know the service is available you might be surprised how the # of request shoot through the roof.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:47 am 

Definitely worth it, im with jeff B I think it will take off in a hurry, think of all the recent threads for people buying wedding gifts, asking to register with your site for the wedding etc.... B Day gifts for VERY lucky husbands and wives.. and just for all of us freaks who say want there name engraved in kanji... its good idea! like mel said after the investment its free money

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:22 am 

cheffiec wrote:...and just for all of us freaks who say want there name engraved in kanji...

So don't forget to brush up on your Kanji Mark! ;) lol

People might even start requesting artwork on the knives instead of the shipping packages too. :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:10 pm 

I personally would not ever do it, but novelty/gift shoppers might.

Kills the resale, lol.

Worth the money, and more importantly time? I doubt it. Then you also have to worry about people being extra picky about engraving and not liking it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

You would have to stipulate the selection of engraving services voids all return policies, for sure. And I never thought you were thinking Kanji, I can't imagine you could find those stencils. Simply initials in calligraphy or script, or even a phrase in just script. It would take a matter of minutes, and you could charge $19.99.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:40 am 

An engraving service sounds like a good idea. It would be really cool to get your name chiseled on the blade in kanji. Decorations would be cool too like sakura, momiji, cherry blossom tree, bonsai tree, koi fish, dragons, etc.
It may be a cool idea to engrave wa handles. Any handle without an end cap would be easy to initial or character the butt of the handle. Then if there is a return, a new handle can be reinstalled for resale. IDK how much you'd want to invest, but a laser CNC machine would be really great for something like this, you could choose a font, kanji, tribal art, whatever you could think of and engrave or burn it into the handle. It would definitely have more visual appeal to those with knife blocks.
Personally, I don't think I would purchase a service like this as my knives are unique enough they are easily identified in the workplace without my initials. I am a fan of art and think there could be potential for an idea like custom engraving. Custom/exotic stuff is always cool.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next