It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Defect on blade or bad photography?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 am 

I was looking at the Yoshikane gyuto's (210mm & 240mm). In the photo for the 240mm there is what looks like to me the reflection from maybe a light source in the room. Along the bevel about an inch from the tip. My guess. OR is that a defect in the blade? Take a look...the 210mm has the same thing but more of this.

http://www.knifewear.com/knife-detail.a ... &family=14

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

Post subject: Re: Defect on blade or bad photography?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 am 

It's a reflection. If it was anything, it'd be a severe scuff, and I cannot imagine anyone scuffing a knife like that and feeling cool about photographing and selling it. Even a disreputable seller would just photograph the other side.

Fun Fact: that knife is made from the steel we Westerners know as D2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:28 pm 

That's what I was thinking. Though, why not retake the photo? :) Too lazy? Or they didn't notice the reflection and just posted that photo. Not being photographers. Would have been better if they had some one else look at their photos before using them. :)

In any case, the Yoshikane's look to be good workhorse type knives. Good choice of metals. Appears to have respectable geometry (looking at the profile). Hard steel. Durable allegedly (never having owned one). Has hammer marks on the side to help reduce the chance of food sticking to the blade. Priced very fairly. Not generic looking (e.g. plain convex profile with black pakka wood 3 rivet handle). Great for any one not likely to dry off the knife as frequently as some one with a carbon steel knife.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 pm 

I live in Calgary where that store is located and they will not send out bad stock. I've always been happy with their service, just not their prices. Chosera 10k for $430 is an absolute ripoff!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm 

Nee wrote:I live in Calgary where that store is located and they will not send out bad stock. I've always been happy with their service, just not their prices. Chosera 10k for $430 is an absolute ripoff!

I noticed that too about the pricing of the 10k Chosera. Paul's Finest (based out of Montreal IIRC) has it for much less...they have it for around $247.00 CAD (http://www.paulsfinest.com/Naniwa-Chose ... -grit.html). Some people prefer the Superstone 10k over the Chosera..that goes for a little more than $100 CAD.

I think Knifewear.com just didn't bother making sure they used a good photo. Maybe they were in a rush putting that webpage together.

Cost of knives @ Knifewear? Hard to say as they are the only dealers for certain brands (e.g. Tojiro) in Canada. So unless you don't mind ordering from the US (e.g. CKTG) and chancing customs tax you should save money. Not sure how much it costs to ship knives to your city/country.

Japanese knives are typically more expensive in Canada period (Calgary, Toronto, Montreal...etc.). Not much you can do about that right now. Though, I have spotted the odd knife sold in certain TO shops for less than in the US. As rare as that is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:04 am 

I was hoping it was bad photography. But I noticed it on the same position on maybe the same knife/size. This is another photo. Tell me what you think now... Obviously I'm talking about the largest knife on the right.

http://www.knifewear.com/img/knives4sal ... ly-big.jpg

Zoom-in...

Makes me think twice about ordering a Yoshikane from them. Would we be taking a chance? :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 am 

Heard from Kevin @ knifewear. He said what I saw were reflections from the camera flash. That the reason why I saw it in 2 photos was that he cropped the larger group photo for each individual knife. He will have new photos taken.

That they check their knives before sending them to customers. And, should a defective knife actually manage to escape their inspection we of course can exchange (PITA).

Those photos were a few years old supposedly. And that he will have new ones put in place.

The Yoshikane's as I said look to be good choices. Unique look. Good choice of steel. Durable. Etc. Might pick some up later. Right now my next knife will be a 240mm Saki Yusuke "special thin" gyuto w/ ebony handle. I'm waiting for Mark to stock. I think M-Bocho is going to buy one as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:21 pm 

That's the same picture.

I wouldn't worry aobout this knife being damaged like that. If you get a damaged one, send it back. But you won't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 pm 

Not MB...MadRookie (one of the moderators). :) I wonder how long it's going to take for Mark to get the Yusuke's "special thin/ebony handle" 240mm in-stock. :) Not that i'm in any hurry. If i was i could have ordered the even thinner 210mm (1.3mm thick at heel) gyuto from the original source in Japan. Rather have a 240mm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

I placed the order but it will take them a little time to get them and ship them to me. I'll try and set up a section page with a couple knives on there so people can put their emails in if they want to wait.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next