It is currently Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The one. A simple, yet so complex question.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 am 

What is that one knife, the one that changed it all? The one you held for the first time and said "Wow.. This is the one..". The one that ignited the passion, the one that fueled the endless search forth perfect cutter, the one that started it all.

Which one was it for you guys? And what was the one that you ended up never being able to dismiss?

I'd love to hear it guys. Maybe it's just me being sappy because I'm getting married, but either way, I'd still love to hear some passionate words.

Post subject: Re: The one. A simple, yet so complex question.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:28 am 
Forum Moderator

My first Japanese knife was a Nenox 230 mm sujihiki. Still have it. The knife that became my most passionate knife to own and use was / is my Moritaka Cleaver. Still amazes me to this day.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:22 pm 

Honestly, it was a victorinox fibrox 8 inch chef. I'd fancied myself a good home cook for many years, using stainless handled Chicago cutlery. Used to describe them to people as a "great set." But after years of inexact steeling and zero sharpening I couldn't mash through food the way I had previously though so impressive. When I realized that the only knife I had capable of cutting brisket was a backsaw of a bread knife I figured I had to do something.

My brother had a work colleague who was into knives, who told him the victo was about the cheapest knife that was acceptable so he gave it to me for Christmas. I proceeded to cut off the tip of my finger in the first ten seconds of cutting an onion.

It made me think that I was missing out on a whole world. So I started researching. And several thousand dollars later I think I've developed a pretty solid collection and decent knife skills. In a few years I may look back and chuckle at that notion the way I do about that $60 dollar set of Chicago cutlery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Masahiro VC 210mm gyuto.

Changed everything I thought I knew about kitchen knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 pm 

Can't list one, a chronology:

1) Tojiro DP: redefined a "knife" for me. My first 240mm, first gyuto, first JK.
2) Fujiwara FKH: first carbon, I did not know a knife could be so sharp.
3) Kono HD (honorable mention Takamura Migaki, Akifusa/Richmond SRS-15, TKC): did not know grinds like this were possible. The three honorable mentions would have been first but I did not buy them first. :mrgreen:
4) Takeda: never felt anything quite like it.
5) Kono Fuji Wt#2: redrew all the boundaries.

I should note, this is not a list of my favorite knives, I don't even own some of these anymore, or ever for that matter. This is a list of knives that redefined things, opened new doors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:11 pm 

I was hoping for some unexpected answers. Nenox? Didn't see that coming. And the Vic? That's some honesty right there. Good stuff guys.

I wish I knew what mine was. My old chef at the country club years ago was quitting and said he'd sell me his entire roll for $1,000; I don't think he thought I was serious until the next day when I showed up with the cash and said "Youre not gonna go back on your word now are you?". There was a santoku in blue steel in that roll that changed my life. Still have no clue what it was.

That roll magically disappeared one day a while back. Still sore about it.

The day I held the almighty Masamoto KS I was disappointed because I knew my search was over, but I'm just as excited to pick it up as I was the first time. Love that knife.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:23 pm 

A Mac Chef series 10" chef knife.

I have always kept my knives sharp. Alton Brown rightly convinced me to go to a pro and hone liberally. My first chef knife was a hollow ground Tommer knife that had been left behind in a kitchen my parents ran decades ago. It wasn't up to my current standards, but it beat out any other home cook's knife I've used. Next I moved to Mercer knives for school and then to Wusthof knives at work. Both were quality products that work well and I learned to sharpen myself. In this time frame I did try a few Shun and Global chef knives. I found them terribly lacking. One Shun had a fresh factory edge which, while supposedly sharp, wasn't that great. And I have always hated the handle on them. The one Global I tried wasn't even sharp. My Western knives were, frankly, better than any Japanese knife I had tried.

But one faithful day I needed to section up red peppers and broccoli and asked a coworker if I could use his Mac. It was light for its size. I found the handle comfortable and suitably utilitarian. And most importantly it cut better than anything I had ever used before. I think I said something defensive about it being okay, but that knife blew me away. It was by far the most improvement I had ever felt while cutting things and I don't think any similar leap would now be possible for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:08 pm 

As for the one that started it all, it has to be the the old rapala filet knife. I still remember my dad saying, "if you wanna keep fish, you need to clean fish." I'm not even sure if he's cleaned one since. There is no better way, in my eyes, to demonstrate how much of a difference a sharp knife makes than making them tackle a sink full of fish. 20 some years later, I'm still looking for that perfect edge on the better knife.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 pm 

Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm gyuto, my first quality JKnife. I love the way it feels in my hands and the edge is incredible. This knife will start me on my way to many more over the next year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Global G-2. :)

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next