It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to straighten a bent blade?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:40 pm 

Recently I posted here some pictures of a Hiromoto knife rehandled by Tim Johnson. I was really happy with the knife and it felt great in the hand, only some pins were slightly sticking out. Tim had offered I could send the knife back to him to fix that, so I sent the knife to him.

Enter the Dutch shipping company PostNL and their American colleagues. This is what remained after transportation.

The box:

The knife:

Can anyone tell us whether it is possible to straighten this blade again? And, if so, how?

Thanx!

Post subject: Re: How to straighten a bent blade?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

You'll get more experienced advice, but what I've done on a few knives is to heat the blade with some almost boiling water to make it just a tiny bit more malleable. Then put the knife blade flat on the edge of a countertop w/the handle facing you. I'd start with just enough of the front part of the blade that it sits flat on your counter, so start of the bend is just off the counter. Orient the knife so you'll pull UP on the handle to begin removing the bend. Push down on the blade firmly at the very edge of the counter, then pull up a little on the handle, move the blade a little bit away from you and repeat, moving through the arc of the bend. You won't remove the bend completely on the first attempt. Do a little at time, checking your work frequently. It might take a few passes to get it straight again. Don't overdo it and bend it past straight! Re-heat the blade as needed during this process.

You need to pull hard enough to begin changing the set of the blade, but again, take it easy and find out how much force is required.

This is how I would approach it. If you get more experienced advice that says I'm all wet, then use your best judgement :-).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:18 pm 

Shit, that's just a straight kick in the balls. Sorry to see that. If you know a really good sharpener, they should be able to straighten it out for you nicely. My own concern with doing it myself is that I'd run the risk of causing mini bends down the blade surface.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:24 pm 

I am a sharpener and I don't have any better advice that Steve's, I think that is spot on, potentially successful in a safe manner. It's a little scary because you'll be afraid of breaking the knife.......baby steps.

Steves advice is now etched in my memory.

good luck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:25 pm 

In Murray Carter's sharpening video, he had a block of wood with a slot cut out (you could do it with a 2x4 with a saw cut partially through--just has to be big enough for the blade). He stuck the blade in and would try a little pressure, take the blade out to determine progress, then put it back in and apply a little more pressure, etc.

Of course he's Murray, and he made it look easy because he's done that thousands of times. And if he accidentally breaks the knife, he could just make himself a new one in 20 minutes or whatever amount of time it takes him . . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm 

toddnmd wrote:In Murray Carter's sharpening video, he had a block of wood with a slot cut out (you could do it with a 2x4 with a saw cut partially through--just has to be big enough for the blade). He stuck the blade in and would try a little pressure, take the blade out to determine progress, then put it back in and apply a little more pressure, etc.

Of course he's Murray, and he made it look easy because he's done that thousands of times. And if he accidentally breaks the knife, he could just make himself a new one in 20 minutes or whatever amount of time it takes him . . .

Sugai over at Korin had a similar set up. He had a number of wood handles (for lack of a better term) with different angled slots cut in them that he used to straighten.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:49 pm 

I would send it to someone with a bit of experience. This doesn't look like an easy fix due to the nature of the bend (gentle curve rather than abrupt).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:12 pm 

emoclaus wrote:I would send it to someone with a bit of experience.

Who?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:48 pm 

I know Ken does straightening work. Korin will also likely be able to help you out as well. That might be easier as Korin is in NY so shipping would be quicker. I would give them a call and describe the issue. I don't know of anyone in the EU myself, but maybe some other members can think of someone over there

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

We sold a few of the knife sticks and Isaiah can make them but most of the time Josh and I just use use a counter and the palm of our hand to straighten them. He's better at it than I am. Hiromotos are clad so they're much easier to fix.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next