It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ferrule coming loose; suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:56 pm 

So back in May I purchased one of these:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html

It's my first foray into a Japanese style knife, and I cannot get over this thing. It's my new daily beater, and I'm looking to add some more knives of this style to my bag. I've run it over my stones twice now, once out of the box and again three months later. It's about due again, but with daily care it maintains its edge, fits my hand perfectly, very light (compared to what I was used to working with (read: Shuns)), and again, I could not be happier.

Except for one thing - the black plastic ferrule is coming loose. Any suggestions on what to do? Does it impact the blade staying securely in the handle? Should I even be concerned?

New to the forum, but have found this site an amazing resource up until I joined to post this question.

Thanks for your input!

Post subject: Re: Ferrule coming loose; suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

If it's just the ferrule and the handle is still securely attached, just use some non-expanding bonding agent to re-glue the ferrule. I've used JB Kwik Weld to do the same repair to my Tojiro KU Petty. Titebond III might work, but I'm not sure if it will bond wood and plastic. Some of the handle makers here should be able to offer additional suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:46 pm 

CA glue may do it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Gel type super glue, 30 minute epoxy or JB Kwik Weld. My choice is JB Kwik Weld; I use it to attach the ferrule to handle/spacers on the handles I make as well as installing the handle to the tang. For any 2 part epoxy, make sure handle and ferrule are both dry! Mix up a small amount of each component, move the ferrule up so you can see the bare wood, apply some epoxy to the bare wood, slide ferrule back down, wipe up excess with paper towel with denatured alcohol. For SuperGlue type fixes, slide up, squeeze some onto the wood, slide back, clean up excess quickly with dry paper towel. Most 5 minute epoxies aren't water proof and the CA glue may not do well in wet conditions. The wood swells and shrinks with moisture/dryness, so the ferrule comes loose from the tenon from the handle. Thicker epoxies hold better with the small dimensional changes between the plastic and wood.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:04 pm 

Thanks folks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 am 

Echo similar sentiments, little 5 min epoxy, sand and enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:38 pm 

If the ferrule is just lose you can use West Systems Penetrating Expoy http://www.westsystem.com/ss/ which will wet down a very thin crack or opening and cure waterproof.

West Systems also has several epoxy formulations from flexible epoxy (GFlex) to Ultra thin epoxies and their regular epoxy which you can buy with different hardeners to increase or decrease cure times.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:38 am 

I would say that the best way to fix that problem would be to buy a bunch more knives from CKTG. It's what most of us do and it seems to work!

Or go weak and follow all the good advice here above.

Good luck.
Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:46 am 

I had a loose wa handle and fixed it with a few drops of elmers white glue. it's holding but I don't know if that was a bad choice of glue or not

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm 

Elmers glue is not water proof so I would expect it to get loose again sometime. Titebond III or Epoxy are the best adhesives in a water environment. West Marine has epoxy repair packets for a few dollars.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next