It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: The forum's thoughts on the Katsura brand
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:43 pm 

I got a Katsura VG-10 gyuto from e-day for $45. It seems to perform well for me. I just curious of the forum's thoughts on the brand of knives.

Post subject: Re: The forum's thoughts on the Katsura brand
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:59 pm 

Did a quick search on the product, but I am not specifically familiar with it. It appears to be one of a number of similar knives targeted at the entry level consumer. VG-10 is capable of being a very good steel but can be prone to chipping depending on the grind and heat treatment and the quality control of the manufacturer. Shun, for example, uses VG10, I guess it depends on you opinion of Shun as to whether that is a good thing or not.

I am sure the knife would perform fine depending on what knives you have experienced and, consequently, your expectations.

Are you interested looking for knives to compare it to? Shopping for an option for a head-to-head? Or just curious about what you have got?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 pm 

It looks like what you bought is a made in Taiwan knife using Japanese VG-10 steel.
The closest comparison I can think of is the Calphalon Katana series of knives. They all have Japanese VG-1 steel and are made in China.
For $45 you certainly can't get hurt. As long as it's working well for you than just use it.

You will know for sure if you got a good deal when you go to sharpen it. Then you will find out if the manufacturer did a decent job grinding the blade in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:59 pm 

If it works it works. I have plenty of knives I like that others dont fancy (warther...:) but it works.

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm 

Cedarhouse: I really just curious about the brand. I purchased it without any real knowledge about it. Its Japanese steel made in Taiwan. I got it as more or less a "starter" knife to play with. Since I purchased it, I have also purchased from CKTO, sever Tijiro to start my collection.

Thanks for all the info.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 pm 

I have a Zhen pairing knife that is VG-10 and made in Taiwan, IIRC. I bought mine as a build it yourself kit from Woodcraft. It is possible it is from the same producer. The grind and profile are fine on mine but the heat treat is not great, a lot of chipping and it does not take as good an edge as my Tojiro in VG-10. For the money though it is a fine knife.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:06 pm 

thanks cedarhouse. I'm just playing with my edge pro for the first time sharpening all my marshall's knives

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]