It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 5pc and 8pc CKTG knife roll differences
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 pm 

Does anyone know the differences (or have photos) between the two rolls? Besides the 8pc having 3 additional slots of course. There is not a lot of information or photos on website about the 5pc version to compare it with the 8pc.

I only need 5 slots for knifes/tools, so the 5pc would be perfect, but I also want to include a decently sized rolling cutting mat inside for the occasions I don't have a decent cutting surface to use. I'm not a pro, but I often cook for friend and family get togethers and almost always the hosts' knives are very dull and they use glass cutting boards. I plan on getting a 270-300mm Suji in the future, so if the 5 PC is shorter that is important.

Thanks,

Chris

Got bacon?

Post subject: Re: 5pc and 8pc CKTG knife roll differences
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 pm 

I haven't used either, but they're remarkably similar to Messermeister bags both in dimensions and description. The review of the eight piece reinforces this.

If my assumption is true, the eight slot bag is a vastly better option. The upgrade costs $5 in this case and adds a few ounces of weight. In exchange the three extra slots are nice, but the biggest improvement in terms of features is the mesh pocket. It lets you carry quite a few tools that wouldn't otherwise fit into the normal slots. In mine (I have an Ultimate Edge with loads of pockets) I keep piping bags, a peeler, a mandolin, and a zester which has a handle too large to fit in a normal knife slot, among other things.

A 300mm knife, even with a slightly elongated blade guard, fits into this length of bag just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:10 am 

you should also look over the new boldric bags as well. excellent quality and design! I love mine,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:31 am 

Yeah the Boldric ones look very nice but they're more than I really want to spend on a carrier I'll use 2-3 times a month. I'm not a pro, I don't need to transport my gear daily. I just need something better than a towel wrapped and taped around the knife I take with me now.

Got bacon?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:08 am 

I got the orange CKTG 8pc bag. I use it when going over friends houses and plan on using it for vacation this month as I will need my knives.

My strop fits in there too. Biggest I have is 240mm but there appears to be plenty of room left. I also picked up some of that card stock knife guards. Pretty damn good for something that is 50 cent. I also have 2 lamson knife safes from years ago. so you will need some kind of knifeguard still unless you got some DIY guard.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]