It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions for you Knifemakers on here.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 am 

(ps: I have no idea if this is the right place for this, or if it is appropriate, but if it ain't you mods are free to remove it, (just give me a heads up please.)

So this is a question for any of you on here that has experience in front of a forge, and maybe a welding station? I am going on a smiting course, in a few months and I am going to need an Apron (or they strongly, strongly recommended one) but I have no idea where to get one, and I have no idea what to get (though I feel like I would prefer something the covers most of the chest and goes down to the knees at-least (I am quite average of hight, if it matters) and preferably leather. (edit: forgot preferably Dark or black leather)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Though they do have Hammers and pliers for rent, (and I do not doubt there quality) I am also considering getting my own. so if you can give some suggestions as to what hammers to go for and what pliers, I would appreciate this. (I have found someone selling this (except aprons apparently) where I live so, will probably not need seller info) So if you guys have any good info on what is recommended (weight, size, form...) for some one just at the beginning of starting to learn. Then don't hesitate to shout.

only thing I have forgotten then is I would prefer not having to make one myself (not into leatherworking (yet) and no idea what leather to use)

Thank you for the attention. and hopefully answers)

Sincerely ShinOokami

Post subject: Re: Questions for you Knifemakers on here.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 am 

Honestly, the guys on the Bladeforum Knife Makers section would be able to better answer your question and give you general knife making advice:bladeforums
I've done a good bit of welding in the past but never any forging. I always just used an open back leather bib with full length sleeves, but I could definitely see how you would want a nice thick leather apron when standing in front of a forge for any length of time.

I'm honestly surprised they don't have one available to use for the duration of the class or can't point you to a place to acquire one. Cheap split-leather welding aprons cost in the neighborhood of 40-50USD, while a nice heavy-duty horse hide, full-length apron could run into the hundreds of dollars.

30 second interwebs search turned up a cheap and a more costly option
Cheap
Expensive

One problem you might run into is that some of the smaller shops may not ship to your country or that it will be prohibitevly expensive when you add shipping and VAT in.

"Our survey shows 43% of men would rather eat bacon than have sex." -Jon Taffer
Apparently "both" was not an option.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]