It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saya Pins
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

We need a source for cheap but nice saya pins. Eamon was talking to me about using guitar bridge pins like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... nd-pin-set

Any suggestions? I haven't looked around for a better price but we go through a ton of them and I would like to have a few hundred in stock at all times.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Saya Pins
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Actually those would be a great option for saya pins. I think those go to an acoustic guitar. (much better drummer than guitarist) :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm 

Mark:

There are also bridge pins made without slots in them which may look even better. Bone is the typical material. But ebony could provide nice contrast. You may be able to get them in bulk from Stewart Macdonald (an Ohio supplier), Allied Lutherie, or Luthiers Mercantile Exchange.

It's a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 pm 

A possible issue is that the pins are tapered, so installation may be best handled with a hand reamer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:46 pm 

The slot actually creates a nice flex that allows you to set it as hard as you want.

FWIW, I've found that not all bridge pin brands are tapered the same, there are different sizes(I use 1A) and the ones from Guitar Center are too dang big and sit too high. It's a 3/16" hole.

Plus if you want to pimp them out, check out the thread I posted with pics of the premium sheaths(It says curly sycamore, but mark farley told me it's actually Oregon Maple). The pins from those are from a specialty shop. Mammoth bone? Yes please!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 pm 

Amber water buffalo horn is also quite attractive -- I have those on one of my guitars. Spendy though...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]