It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ikeda AS 250 Gyuto back in stock
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Just notice these are back in stock after a long absence: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taik24dagy.html.

I don't know the geometry, height, length, etc. of this latest batch, but I very much enjoy my particular Ikeda AS. It's shorter than normal at 44-45mm and pretty darn thin overall. It makes a terrific slicer.

Post subject: Re: Ikeda AS 250 Gyuto back in stock
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:19 pm 

Had a real interest in this knife at one time but know think I'd be disappointed since I own a Masamoto KS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah Jeff, it's an approximation, not a replica. It's pretty hard to beat the original KS. I should have bought one :-(.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:37 pm 

Funny - I think if I got another KS I'd sell my Carter gyuto.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:48 pm 

SteveG wrote:Yeah Jeff, it's an approximation, not a replica. It's pretty hard to beat the original KS. I should have bought one :-(.

Yeah Steve the original just has an aura about it that all the impersonators can't duplicate. Every time I use mine I wonder why I don't use it more. But when you have so many to choose from none of them gets used enough! ;) My KS is definitely a permanent fixture in my stable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm 

Jeff : the Ikeda is a different animal compared to the Masamoto KS. The Ikeda I have is thinner and lighter than my Masamoto KS. Ikeda weighs 5 1/2 oz. vs 6 1/4 oz. for the KS.The Masamoto has a more substantial blade compared to the more laser like feel of the Ikeda. Like Steve G mentioned the Ikeda is an excellent slicing push cutter with a thinner, more flexible tip. The heat treatment of the AS steel blade on the Ikeda is well done and has slightly better edge retention than the KS. Good looking Damascus cladding. Both of mine are keepers!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]