It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: mineral oil to make board butter, which one?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:05 pm 

Prior postings have covered this subject. Mix food safe mineral oil with beeswax is the general formula.
Months ago I went to Walgreens and bought some very cheap mineral oil which is
really a laxative product. Plenty write ups at amazon endorse this product for conditioning one's
cutting board. I went to apply it and the viscosity turned me off. Could be from the added
vit E. From a practical sense, this oil just did not seem to penetrate, while the pricey boos cream
did penetrate.

Beeswax, I have. Organic, and reasonably priced...from a search for Amazon Prime.

For the mineral oil, if I want something thinner, 100% and no additives, it's out there
but the cost is about 1.00 per ounce vs half or less than for the stuff from the drug stores.

One day, we'll get one of thoselarge end grain boards. In that case, a few extra dollars seems well worth it to avoid that distressful creep
of wood separation. I figure that proper care would consume about one ounce per a wipe down
every two weeks, and be a chore that does not feel like a chore.

I know that some diy users have been satisfied with the cheaper product, but any one
else use the pricer option to their satisfaction ...namely, being worth it? A small issue
that I'm probably spending too much time on.

Post subject: Re: mineral oil to make board butter, which one?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:30 pm 

I use the cheap mineral oil from Wal-Mart and I find it works good. Never used the pure stuff and not sure if it's any better than the cheap stuff for board conditioning. i'm sure most people here use the mineral oil from WalMart or one of the drug stores.
I also just received some beeswax and mixed 7 oz of mineral oil to 1.5 oz of beeswax. I have not used it yet on my board but did use it on some wooden spoons I have and it seems to work fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Cheap mineral oil w/o any blended wax is just way too quick, easy, and effective for me to stray.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm 

+1 on Melampus' observations. Plus I've never found it necessary to overthink board oiling, provided the wood is not being soaked/dried repeatedly. Most I will use is a damp sponge, followed immediately by a toweling. [I try never to let water sit on either steel or wood, probably because of my career in the maritime industry. WATER BAD! STEEL AND WOOD GOOD!]
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:33 pm 

Vitamin E eh? Never encountered it so I have no idea if that affects it. The cheap ones at drug stores Ive bought always say 100% mineral oil in the ingredients.

As for viscosity... not sure what you mean? It's oil. I don't know if linseed oil is thinner, but it is a drying oil. Do you mean you don't like oil and would prefer a cream? You have bees wax and mineral oil, why havent you used this yet if you like Boos cream? Boos is just an emulsification of bees wax and mineral oil.

What measure are you using for penetration vs the boos? Pure mineral oil will have an oily feel for longer vs the boos, as the bees wax mitigates that oily feel and doesnt feel as oily in the first place.

If i was applying boos, I'd use it sparingly, while with the mineral oil, i just go at it. I pour some on the board, and wipe it all over, I'm not too concerned about the amount, just getting the whole surface covered (no pooling or anything, im not that wasteful). So the boos would be fully absorbed/"dry" faster? thats my thoughts.

it's the soap that dries it out mostly, oil and water don't mix, so a well seasoned board cant absorb much water. Dont be afraid of water. Soap helps strip away the surface oil, so of course you need to reapply... that being said, a board should never sit with water on it, it will still absorb given enough time. wood preferentially absorbs water vs oil. water swells wood fiber more and faster vs oil, and could crack your board. And soap (or some form of disinfection) should always be used, sanitation is your friend....

Last edited by Arlius on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 pm 

My board has soaked up a good amount of mineral oil. I have another month of weekly oiling before I apply the beeswax.
I will only use my end grain board for cutting veggies, no proteins.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 pm 

The Snow River branded mineral oil has a pretty low viscosity and wicks or soaks into wood quickly. This would be a good starting point for a oil/wax blend because it starts out thin. I bought a couple of 8oz bottles when I bought my board from Bed Bath and Beyond, but it is a little expensive that way. Walmart has a better deal on a larger size.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snow-River-Wo ... z/27456753

It's too bad Johnson & Johnson puts a fragrance in their baby oil, otherwise it would be the cheapest route for low volume purchases. The only way to save any real money is to buy by the gallon or larger.

Got Bacon?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 pm 

SmokieOkie wrote:The Snow River branded mineral oil has a pretty low viscosity and wicks or soaks into wood quickly. Walmart has a better deal on a larger size.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snow-River-Wo ... z/27456753

Snow River is what I was looking to get. I might pick it up the walmart store. Good find, because I didn't know they sold it.
Must just be me, but when I doused the cutting board with the cheaper stuff it seemed to just sit on top while with Boos cream
there was not much excess and I could see the difference. The reality though, once I blend a mineral oil with bees wax (4 to 1)
my guess is that 20 ounces will last a full year. (2 boards, moderately large) Anything with a fragrance would be a deal killer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:56 pm 

Maybe 4 times a year I reach for the CVS shit syrup, pour it liberally on the board and schmear it around with my finger. In about 20 minutes some parts of the board will be dry while other parts will have pooled oil, so I schmear again. Repeat then paper towel and flip sides.

After use I wipe it with paper towel. Maybe a spritz of Windex if I was cutting poultry, but that's it. I guess I'm kinda like the crusty Senior Chiefs who put in 30 and have never once as much as rinsed their coffee mug. Never gotten sick. But we don't bother to refrigerate eggs or butter so I must have a healthy resistance to pathogens.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:25 am 

$13 for Snow River wood oil is too expensive for my blood.
WPHill, not sure what you are doing for the mineral oil to sit on the board. I pour directly on the board and use an old sock to rub it in. Makes no since to pay $13 for something when you can get cheap mineral oil for $2. But for each their own I guess.

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next