It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: General questions about knife care
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

last Friday I bought a Konosuke wa-gyuto 210mm HH , and yesterday I received it. My first impressions are that the knife its absolutely amazing, razor sharp out of the box and very well balanced.

I'm an amateur cook and I've never had such a good knife like this. I would like to ask you some questions about how to best maintain the knife:

1 - I know that I have to clean the knife by hand, but can I use a scourer like "scotch brite" or it will scratch the knife?
2 - The soap or bleach can damage the stainless steelof this knife? I usually use soap to clean, and bleach to disinfect my knives.
3 - I suppose that ho wood handle and buffalo horn ferrule aren't waterproof, how to clean it of fingerprints, odors or dirt ?
4 - Magnet bars can injure the knife magnetizing it, and making it worse to sharpen ?
5 - I have to dry the knife immediately with kitchen paper or microfiber cloth on every ingredient, and wash it after use ?
6 - I use the knife every day at home level, do you think to sharpening it with water-stone once a week or month is appropriate ?

thank you very much in advance,

best regards,
Paco

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: General questions about knife care
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:41 pm 

1. The scouring pads may leave fine scratches on the blade. I use a wash cloth to clean by hand.

2. Soap will be fine. I don't like to use bleach. Bleach can pit the surface of some metals.

3. Wood is porous and is naturally antibacterial. You are correct that it can still get dirty. Soap and water should be enough. Soaking the handles in food grade mineral oil (can be found at local grocery store) helps prevent moisture and odor absorption. Reapply oil to the handle every few months.

4. I have not noticed any effects of magnetized knives. Should not be an issue.

5. The HH is stainless but it would be good practice to wipe the knife after each task. Microfiber cloth isn't mandatory.

6. Sharpen as needed. Whether its a week or several months, whenever you feel the knife is not performing how you like.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm 

atang thanks for these answers. Now I feel more confident in how keeping this great knife in the best way. Just one more question: once the blade or handle is soapy, rinse under the tap or with a damp cloth ? I say this to prevent the handle is wet, or maybe it isn't a problem if it's wet a few seconds and dry quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 pm 

Water shouldn't hurt the handles at all. I wouldn't let it soak in the water, but a wash, rinse, and dry should not hurt the handle at all.

If you are worried about the wood on the handle, you can use mineral oil, a butcher block oil with beeswax in it (Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner is good from my experience) to treat the handle the same way you would a cutting board. Either would soak into the handle and seal it to keep the water out. You just may need to reapply it every once in a while. It might make your hand slightly oily at first, but mineral oil and beeswax is good for the skin anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am 

The Howard's product is what I've been using of late. One of these days I'll run out and try something else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

I tried Watco Danish Oil on a couple of knife handles, based on a suggestion here on the forums. A few light coats worked great to seal the handle, but leave it with some texture for grip - not slick at all.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]