It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Opinions wanted on new product
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

These woodworking tools were offered to me and I like them. They're Blue #2 steel and retail on them would be about $20-25. What do you think? I'm out of my element so I don't know how much of a market there is for Japanese woodworking tools.

Take a look:

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Opinions wanted on new product
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

CKTG <> I think the Hawk Bill & Wharne Cliffe would make great fruit carving knives... dependent upon spine thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm 

I think the swedge or hawk bill would be better marketed as a mushroom hunters knife. Could you get a sheath or holster for it? Stamp a burned in image of a bolete on the handle and you've got a niche product.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:00 am 
Forum Moderator

"CKTG <> I think the Hawk Bill & Wharne Cliffe would make great fruit carving knives... dependent upon spine thickness."

Yes! And the dagger and kiridashi too.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 pm 

Allow me to be a voice of dissent. The woodworking guys have their vendors and websites. They even sell Shaptons and Choseras but kitchen knife folks rarely go there for their needs. Logically, woodworkers may not visit CKTG.

Beyond a few knife nuts I'm not sure you would sell enough to make the effort worthwhile. And I think they are as ugly as sh!t hit with a brick. I don't want to see you get stuck with a load of these.

Maybe get a few samples and hand them out to Melampus, Shaun, etc for serious evaluation?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder if this guy could make me some no handle pettys for that price? Blue #2 petty for about $30 would be a winner.

I kind of agree about the woodworking tools in general. Same with the folders and hunting knives. I really need to stick to my niche and dominate it instead of poking into other areas.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you venture into other blade arenas, you should have a different site. Shavingtogo.com or bladestogo.com

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:39 pm 

My many trips to Thailand infected me with the desire to carve fruits. But that is not so for everyone. I will be in Thailand again in less then two weeks and hopefully using my new 80mm dojo to carve something interesting. As far as new line of knives business ….It is anyones guess if it will be successful or not. All I can say…. is that there are TOO MANY cheap quality knives available at dirt cheap prices.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 pm 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:... And I think they are as ugly as sh!t hit with a brick...

Beyond the other insightful comments I have to +1 this!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm 

Mark - As a sometime woodworker, my concern is that the handles appear a bit restrictive. If you look at the knives the bird-carvers use, they tend to have rounded "swell" handles that allow the carver to grip the knife for pushing/pulling in a wide variety of directions.
That said, if you were to offer some different oyster and clam knives by this or other makers, a lot of the pro/am chefs that are regular visitors to the site might be interested, including me.
Tom

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]