It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Murata Buho Funayuki profile compared to Yamashin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 pm 

Hi, I'd like to try a funayuki in the house. I think my girlfriend (small-handed lefty) would enjoy it as well. We would be using it mainly for vegetable prep.

I am trying to decide between the Murata:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mufu16.html

and the Yamashin:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1fu16.html

I think I would be satisfied with either steel, and I think $30 is a fair price to pay for the nicer handle on the Murata. My main concern is blade profile/grind. It looks like the Yamashin would be a more appropriately thin for our intended use. From other photos posted on this forum, the Yamashin also looks like it has a nice curved profile. I'd rather purchase the Murata as it looks more nicely crafted, I just don't have enough information regarding it's shape. I am adept at woodworking and could always re-handle the Yamashin.

Does anybody know how similar the two knives are regarding grind/profile? Any other information on how they compare?

Thanks, Tim

Post subject: Re: Murata Buho Funayuki profile compared to Yamashin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the Yamashin and Kajihara and played with the Murata a bit. The Yamashin is thin and good to go out of the box, but the handle is somewhat blah. Wa handles are easy to make/replace though; I am working on another new one for my Yamashin Funy :) The Yamashin has a nice profile and is pretty thin as is. The Yamashin has a little more curve to the belly, but works very well on the board.

The Kajihara is slightly shorter (height wise) than the Yamashin, but a hair taller than the Murata IIRC. The Kajihara was a good bit thicker out of the box and benefited from a good thinning and really shines with a full regrind. The profile is similar to the Murata; the majority of the blade is flat and curves up near the tip instead of the continuous curve of the Yamashin. Both work very well on the board, and the shorter height of the Murata/Kajihara doesn't affect performance. The Murata has a very nice grind and handle and is around the same thinness behind the edge as the Yamashin and much thinner than the Murata, but the Yamashin is thinner at the spine throughout on the one I have here. The Murata has a nicer Kasumi finish and is covered in lacquer, which keeps the blade from reacting much other than the very edge until the lacquer has worn off. The lacquered handles are pretty nice, too on the Murata.

So Yamashin is thinner at the spine/overall than the Murata, more belly to the profile, taller, cheaper handle. Murata is around the same thinness behind the edge, better lacquer finish/grind, nicer handle, but flatter and shorter height wise.

Yamashin has the lighter color ferrule, Kajihara has the black ferrule. Murata is similar profile wise to the Kajihara (flatter, less belly), but is a touch shorter height wise than the Kajihara. Both styles work well, but for some reason I like the Yamashin Funy profile better, even though I usually prefer knives with less belly. Go figure!

Both steels take and hold an edge nicely. The Murata Blue #1 will probably hold an edge longer than White #1, but most people sharpen before they need to resharpen anyway and the differences will be fairly minor. It will depend on the board you use, what you cut, the edge refinement, etc. I would say get whichever blade profile appeals to you more and then worry about the handle!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

The Murata is a better knife in my opinion. The grinds are a little better and it's a little thinner behind the edge and the steel is a little harder and the handle is nicer.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm 

Thanks, you both have been very helpful.

Nice work on the Yamashin re-handle. How difficult was it to remove the original handle? Did you use the traditional methods of installing the new handle or adhesive/epoxy?

Mark, have you ever considered selling Japanese knife blanks? Simple White #1 blades would be an nice affordable way of trying out handle-making.

Thanks, Tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:03 am 
Forum Moderator

I believe it was a normal burn in handle. Tape over the blade, get a piece of wood a few inches longer than the blade, set it on the front of the ferrule on one side of the blade that is taped and hit the wood with a hammer. Should pop off easily! I rasp out the tang groove and then epoxy the handle to the tang so it's sealed from moisture. I usually oversize the groove slightly so I can tweak the fit to get the blade aligned with the handle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yes we've tried selling just the knife blanks on a few items but they didn't sell very well. Also the handles are such a cheap item on a knife like the Yamashin that it doesn't save a lot to get them without handles. And as Tim said they're pretty easy to pop off.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:45 am 

taz575,

It looks like you removed the lacquer from those blades. I purchased the Murata funayuki. It has been a fun/interesting knife. It is my first kurouchi/ san mai knife. I find the gloss lacquer over the rustic kurouchi on the blade a little silly/strange. Did you remove the lacquer on those knives or did it just wear off? How reactive have you found the cladding to be?

Thanks, Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm 

I have the Murata Funayuki and a Murata 210 gyuto and the lacquer finish really works to stop reactivity. I have been using the Funayuki for about 4 months and the only patina is on the blade edge. They are thin behind the edge and they take and hold a wicked edge very well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree with Bikeman! I got to see/handle his Murata's and I would say leave the lacquer on. It will help prevent patina but also food reacting to the blade steels. Eventually, it will wear off, but for the time being, enjoy the lower reactivity! On the pictures, the Yamashin was partially thinned and the Kajihara funy was completely reground, so the KU finish and lacquer were completely removed, as well as the blade being completely reground, too. The profile is similar to the Murata, but the Murata is a touch shorter height wise.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]