It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pocket Knife for lunch at the office
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm 

So i decided to start making lunch at work out of baguettes, pate's, cheeses, meats etc, from the gourmet deli by my office, but i realized i am going to have a difficult time preparing everything without a knife around. Our office doesn't have a pantry area, just a drawer full of plastic knives and forks. I found this article, http://www.thekitchn.com/gifts-for-cooks-163018 but i'm not sure which direction to go in for this type of application. I love the way this one looks http://www.bestmadeco.com/products/japa ... roduct-tab and it seems like its probably a great knife, but i feel like it might be too delicate for what i am using it for. I need something that's small enough to carry around in NYC without having to worry about legal issues, and is tough enough to go through a hard piece of bread, but not so clunky it'll make a mess out of something mushy like brie. Another issue is that our office doesn't have a kitchen sink, just the bathroom one, and the water is never cold, so if the blade doesn't wipe clean easily, its going to be hard to wash. Anyone got any suggestions, or am i asking for too much out of one knife? lol.

Post subject: Re: Pocket Knife for lunch at the office
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 pm 

I would get a cheap ceramic santoku to just keep at the office so you dont have to worry about carry. Make a cardboard saya and toss it in the drawer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:26 pm 

kalaeb wrote:I would get a cheap ceramic santoku to just keep at the office so you dont have to worry about carry. Make a cardboard saya and toss it in the drawer.

Well i actually have a 7$ kiwi chef knife i bought just for fun when i saw it in an Asian market, and i almost brought that in with me today, but that's probably more knife than i need. Given the area i have to work with on my desk, if i broke out a larger knife, i'd end up making a mess. That's why a pocket knife seemed good, nice and delicate. I am leaning towards Opinel, it seems like a nice balance for under 20$.

And i have a cardboard saya on my sheetrock saw lol.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:30 pm 

This application screams Opinel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm 

Opinel. So cheap and good for this stuff. I find the #8 a touch long for peeling/in-hand work, but great for slicing bread/salami/cheese. The out of box edge is ok, but the steel is actually good enough to take a much sharper edge. Even a few strokes on a ceramic rod will greatly improve the box edge. The lock is simple and very functional. At $12-ish bucks I wouldn't even think about it....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:53 pm 

btm wrote:Opinel. So cheap and good for this stuff. I find the #8 a touch long for peeling/in-hand work, but great for slicing bread/salami/cheese. The out of box edge is ok, but the steel is actually good enough to take a much sharper edge. Even a few strokes on a ceramic rod will greatly improve the box edge. The lock is simple and very functional. At $12-ish bucks I wouldn't even think about it....

After i saw it on Amazon for 12$ i actually clicked order before even reading this. And i feel that much better about it lol. Also found this on etsy for 20$ w/ shipping and figured why not see how it is https://www.etsy.com/transaction/252697 ... 9f3e1a0288

As far as sharpening the Opinel, any reason the Shapton Pro 1000 i bought for my kitchen knives wouldn't work well on it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Try one of these: http://www.zyliss.com/en-us/zyliss-serr ... ring-knife.

We keep one at home and use it all the time. It's a good design with a nice friction fit cover.

Edit, just saw you already bought something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:51 pm 

I usually sharpen my Opinel on a Shapton Pro 1k or 2k and finish with a quick strop on leather. The shape and short blade make sharpening a little tricky compared to a kitchen knife, but it is a quick adjustment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:52 pm 

I love the Opinels dearly, but the factory edge is so terrible that the worst sharpening will greatly improve it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:12 pm 

SteveG wrote:Try one of these: http://www.zyliss.com/en-us/zyliss-serr ... ring-knife.

We keep one at home and use it all the time. It's a good design with a nice friction fit cover.

Edit, just saw you already bought something.

No worries, I appreciate the suggestion, especially since it comes at such a nice price point. The opinel was only 12$ so I might buy something else for the office anyway. A sales rep bought a 6' sub for the office last year, and it came with a flimsy throwaway serrated knife we were using whenever we needed it but that disappeared.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next