It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: New Cutting board
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 pm 

Taz posted up a awesome deal he got on his nice new end grain board, so I thought I would share my deal and new board as well.

I picked up a beautiful huge walnut 18x22, end grain board from Jay gee wood works, there local to me so I stopped out there to check out his offerings. The board is just barely shy of 2 inches thick. Here is the website to jay gee http://www.jaygeewood.com/index.html
I got what I would consider a great price, I paid $80 dollars out the door. The boards fit and finish is outstanding, all lines are smooth and overall quality from the build to the quality of the wood seems excellent. Here is a few pics.

Bottom

Board makes my new Hap 40 210 look small :)

Close up of new knife, Mark you hit a home run on this knife, it's ridiculously sweet!

All pics are before any kind of oiling, the board is new and not used yet.
If your interested I think these boards are a amazing bargain, the shop is not a retail shop, but they put a few on eBay, here's the link if you want one. http://bit.ly/1h341ZM

And a link to the 16x20 he has 4 on eBay. I looked at them at his shop and there beautiful.
http://bit.ly/1h35pM6

Post subject: Re: New Cutting board
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 pm 

Gorgeous board, and thanks for sneaking in a couple shots of your new knife! I spotted it in the background of your second pic. Envy x2.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:12 pm 

Thanks for the link, Hutch. Just ordered two after seeing this post!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:38 pm 

seabell wrote:Thanks for the link, Hutch. Just ordered two after seeing this post!

Glad it helped you out. Also, Welcome to CKTG Forum. It's a great place to hang out and talk knives. lots of knowledgeable people and information here too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm 

$80.00 for that board is a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:44 pm 

I agree. They're a little big for my counter but tempting and if I hadn't just ordered a board from Jones I'd really consider picking up one of these.

A question though - his eBay description says that they are finished with 2 coats of food grade urethane and 1 coat of mineral oil. Why the urethane and is that a normal use for cutting boards?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:52 pm 

Hutch wrote:Glad it helped you out. Also, Welcome to CKTG Forum. It's a great place to hang out and talk knives. lots of knowledgeable people and information here too.

Yes, I've been lurking on and off for some months now. Didn't feel the need to speak up until today. I don't have any j-knives yet, but recently bought a the Edgepro 'essentials' set and a few full-sized stones from Mark and Sue. These are for my woodworking tools and pocket knives, but I'm waiting a couple of months to afford a gyuto and nakiri from CKTG. Actually, I have my eye on the 240mm version of your Kohetsu HAP20 - hopefully they'll be in stock soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:18 pm 

Totoro,

I have seen that in this and one other board. I'm guessing they use the PU as a sealant. Not certain of any effects, positive or negative. Maybe a resident woodworker could explain?

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 pm 

Totoro wrote:I agree. They're a little big for my counter but tempting and if I hadn't just ordered a board from Jones I'd really consider picking up one of these.

A question though - his eBay description says that they are finished with 2 coats of food grade urethane and 1 coat of mineral oil. Why the urethane and is that a normal use for cutting boards?

I can't say if urethane is normal, but you might find http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/fin ... 497a.shtml interesting.

My question is just the opposite , after an urethane finish, why a mineral coat? I supposed if the urethane has been scratched thru, the mineral oil would be a good idea. But on a new board?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:37 pm 

The finish in Hutch's photos looks like a penetrating coat, as opposed to that thick, clear skin you sometimes see on cheap furniture.
I'm not bothered by it - there are far worse threats around. If it seems to taint food or become unsightly with use, I'll just hit it with a cabinet scraper - a tool where the burr is not removed, as that's what does the shaving ;)

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next