It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: SLT/WS Scouting Trip Report
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

So, there's a mall near our home that has both a Sur-L-T and a Will & Sonoma. Thought I would do a little comparative scouting for Mark today. Hey - somebody's gotta do it :-).

I wanted to check out the new Miy.. Evolution series. The handle looked decidedly smallish from the photos - either that, or it's a tall blade. I can report that it's a combination of both. I'm 5' 7" with medium hands and the handle is a bit too small for my taste. The blade is also very tall for the 8" that I played with - it's easily 52 to maybe 55mm. The blade is also very euro shaped with lots of belly. Fit and finished was good on the handle, but the blade had a lot of tooling texture to it, not a very smooth finish. Overall, it's kind of an odd knife. Even on "sale" for $99, Mark & CKTG have better choices IMO. I'd easily take the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, Shun Sora, or Artifex AEB-L/52100 over it for performance and profile/ergonomics.

Then I visited W&S and saw the large selection of very overpriced and STRANGELY designed Shun lines and other lines as well. Some of the designs/profiles/geometries/handles were just very odd. And boy were they expensive...$300 plus was the norm for many of the 8", 10" chefs, santoku's etc.

MY CONCLUSION:

It's no contest: Chef Knives to Go has the best, widest selection of highly functional, high performance, high value knives available anywhere! Mark has many Gyuto's for under $200 that will kick the snot out of just about anything I saw at these two stores. When you start looking at CKTG products in the $200-350 range the value proposition gets even better.

It's hard to believe people are plunking down that kind of money for the products I saw today. Somebody must be buying them :-).

Way to go Mark & Sue!!

Post subject: Re: SLT/WS Scouting Trip Report
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Post subject: Re: SLT/WS Scouting Trip Report
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]