It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wa Handle Maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:04 am 

I've looked for this as I expect it has been covered already, but either it's not there or my searching capabilities are dubious. Anyway, I have my Kono HD2 Gyuto and a Kamo R2 nakiri. I did a bit of work on the ootb edges and, while I'm sure the edge could be improved, I think that I did okay and I'm really enjoying using them. I'm like Dexter, except I feel the need to slice vegetables.

I think that I can manage caring for the edge and the blade, but I'm wondering what I need to do to keep the light colored woods (Magnolia and Ho?) looking as good as they do now. Are there any keys to maintaining them and keeping them looking clean?

Thanks,
J

Post subject: Re: Wa Handle Maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm 

I treat mine from time to time with Danish oil. It has Tung oil as its main component. You can use Renaissance wax, too, or a mixture of wax and oil, but don't leave it on for too long, or you will end up with a fatty handle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1

I use Watco Danish Oil to treat my handles and give them a pretty long lasting protective treatment. A lot of pros also use mineral oil, but that will need to be re-applied periodically.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:59 pm 

Several coats of Tung oil with a little beeswax or beeswax/carnuba wax blend rubbed on the surface as an added moisture barrier. Years of protection will be added to the handles. Color will darken slightly but not significantly.

If you want the wood to remain the same color, you could get a flat polyurethane and use that. Polyurethane doesn't have the deep penetrative action of Tung oil, and you probably still want to apply the wax coating for added moisture protection because cracks and scratches in the polyurethane coating will allow moisture in.

Got Bacon?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:13 pm 

Thanks. Any idea if Boos mystery oil or Boos cream would be acceptable?

I already have some of that for my cutting board...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:18 pm 

First of all, try not to get the handles dirty. If you wash them often, they will dry out more easily, especially if you have to use dishwashing soap.

I use the same mineral oil/beeswax mix for my wa handles as I use on my cutting boards. I've tried different wax mix ratios, but haven't decided yet what's best for my handles. Or you could just use mineral oil. I think the most important thing is to get the handle to reject water and use food grade stuff.

Here are some pictures from when I went bananas this summer and mixed mineral oil with beeswax in different ratios. ;)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Edit: Should point out that my 5% mix didn't get quite homogeneous so I'm probably going to have some trouble getting it all out of that bottle... :roll:

I also got a tip to melt 2/3 beeswax with 1/3 carnauba wax and let it cool into a lump and then rub it against the handle, applying it using friction. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I have a knife with a handle treated that way and it looks and feels nice.

Last edited by limpet on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:24 pm 

Boos oil = mineral oil + linseed oil + orange oil.
Boos cream = mineral oil + beeswax.

Should be ok to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:38 pm 

I used mineral oil on the handle of my Kohetsu. Got it from the local IKEA store, it's the one they sell for cutting-board care... Applied a thick coat of oil on the handle, swiped of any oil that didn't got soaked into the wood after 30 minutes. Let the handle dry for 24h and then repeated the process...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

A soft wax coating will, in my experience, keep more junk out of the pores of the wood than an oil coating will.

I like to use:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinish ... k-Wax.aspx

However, a furniture wax like:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/spe ... ishing-wax

Works too and is less expensive in the long run.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:39 pm 

Just a heads up. Some people have an allergic reaction to consuming tung oil. It should probably be avoided for finishing kitchen tools.

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next